Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: one month after install, hollow spots developed!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:48 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi guy's,
You have helped me so much in the past and now I have another question. I had the perfect install of my Mirage engineered floors. They were installed on concrete, used a moisture meter, checked the floor for flatness, everything was great.
Then a small area, in the entrance to the bedroom started to have cracking noises when walked on. The noises went away and now the boards underneath the area are hollow in three small sections. They are slightly raised and when you tap them with your knuckles you get a hollow sound. no movement though. It's not cupping, I have a humidity monitor and the humidity is stable. The area did not get any moisture either. The install was a month ago.
The installer is going to replace the section, but he doesn't know what caused it in the first place. Ant ideas?
Thanks, Donna

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have one more thing to add, my hygrometer reads between 40-60% at all times, is that OK?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:00 pm 
Newbie Contributor

how flat was the floor. I'm currently working on an install over concrete and the manufacturers instructions state a tolerance of 1/8" in 8' which is extremely flat. If you are getting a hollow spot, my guess is the that floor might have a low spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:01 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I watched him check the floor for flatness, but not in that particular area.
I guess there are only two things it could be, moisture or flatness, but I don't know which one it is. I just hope he doesn't tear out the floor and redo it, only to have it happen again.
Donna

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:06 pm 
Prized Contributor

If the floor is flat and not buckling, then it is a hollow spot that has always been there. As long as it is't more then 1 sq.ft. in size and not making popping or creaking noises, it will be fine.

More then likely a drill and fill will work, if it is popping and creaking, but not buckling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:08 pm 
Newbie Contributor

sounds like a low spot or no adhesive, or maybe a bonding problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:46 am 
Newbie Contributor

floorguy,
It seems different than the hollow spots I had on my other floor. It's kind of wavy in three spots than run close together. The boards are raised up a bit, and when you tap your knuckles, they are hollow. It started out cracking and popping, and then the noise stopped and the boards raised. I watched them do most of the install, I remember telling the guy to use more glue in that area, so maybe the glue didn't stick. Do you guys use a heavy roller to press down the glue when you lay floors?
Maybe they didn't press the boards down hard enough. They are going to do that area over again.
Donna

Profile E-mail