Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: One wrong step?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:46 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The hardwood floor is installed. The Swedish finish look fantastic! Just one problem, the top step of my 6 foot wide entry looks like Red Oak! It's supposed to be white oak! I really don't think it is White Oak that just happens to be more red than the others. I guess the installer is going to have to rip out the top tread and replace with White Oak. Ever had this happen to you? I don't want people thinking 15 years from now that I would damage my top tread and replace it with a different type of Oak, cause I would'nt! It's Murphy's law.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Red vs White oak.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:44 am 
New User

I have seen bundles from manufacturers/distributors with red oak accidentally mixed with a white oak bundle. This should have been detected on site. Is this a full tread or strip/planks? I could see making a mistake for a couple strips, but not a full six foot tread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:01 am 
Newbie Contributor

This is a solid 6' tread. And yes it is Red Oak! Installers often get too busy to come by and make a "check" of the wood they ordered. Simply, they are not making money. All the wood was here for about 3 weeks acclimating and sitting around but not one drop by to "confirm" ALL the wood and other delivered products as ordered were correct and onsite. Now my installer has to rip out the bad tread and install the new tread. I just hope he can do it without damaging the surrounding brand new finish-that's what makes me nervous. It's like spot painting a brand new car. Now I have to be concerned with what happens if the finish does'nt match etc. Since the new board will be finished off site and installed.
Who thinks it's simple to uninstall a single tread thats been nailed and glued without touching adjacent or impacting newly laid surrounding finish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:46 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Doable but not simple. He'll need to be careful. Perhaps cover existing work with old blankets while he's demoing the tread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Good tip Gary. Anyone else have some tips? I really don't like looking over my installers shoulder while he does the R/R. That tends to only annoy them and make them more nervous. If I can't trust him to do a good job I really should have picked someone else. Fortunately, I have knowledge of a delicate hardwood floor repair he did for Mr. Boeing so, if anyone can do it I believe this guy can. Except for this tread, his attention to detail has been outstanding! I think he's planning on this Friday. I'll report back then.