Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Options for face nail removal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:03 pm 
New User

https://s3.postimg.io/dqqz74c6b/image.jpg

Pulled some carpet up and at first I thought I had some nice floors I could sand and stain.

Then I got it rolled up and swept up the powder the padding turned into and found those nails.

5 groups of 10-12 each.

They are flush or a hair over driven. Basement ceiling is finished so I can't drive them up from underneath. I won't attempt using a cat's paw, seen the damage they can do when I was a framer.

I didn't see an intro section anywhere so sorry for just busting in an asking for questions. I had two contractors look at it today and both tried to sell me on full replacement, I told them both to go play in traffic. Normally I wouldn't be that rude to a contractor but I don't like when it's sell sell sell and another solution isn't even thought of.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Options for face nail removal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:08 pm 
Prized Contributor

I come across this periodically. Someone has nailed into the floor joist to stop a squeak.
My solution is to use a center punch to make a small dimple to drill a 1/8th inch drill bit that will drill off the head of the nail when its into the nail an eight inch or so. Use the fastest speed that your drill will run. The drill will get hot enough to burn the wood, so work on several nails so they can cool off In between.
After you have gone deep enough to spin the nail head off, set the nail with a nail set and then fill with putty that is colored to match the surface. If you are going to sand the floor, wait until bare wood to fill the hole. Sometimes all you need to do after the carpet comes up is to fill the tack strip nail holes with putty, You may be able to re-coat the floor with a water-based poly-urethane if the floor has not been waxed. The finish will seal the putty, otherwise it can start to look dirty from collecting dust. There is also a putty for pre-finished wood that dries hard so it won't get the dirty look. It comes in colors that can blend together to match the color of your floor, if you don't want to refinish right away.

Profile E-mail