Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Options to Spruce up Oak Floors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 am 
New User

I could use some advice. I am preparing to sell my mother's house and removed the carpet. The oak floors are in really good shape, no scratches or signs of abuse. However, they are dull and you can see some marks/stains from the carpet pad that I have been unable to remove. What can I do to spruce up the floors? There doesn't appear to be any polyurethane on the floors. Thanks Phyllis

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Options to Spruce up Oak Floors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 pm 
New User

Hi there Phyllis,

This could be just a wax that many people used to seal and protect unfinished flooring many years ago. It is more common now to apply polyurethane finishes to seal and protect. If there is truly no urethane finish on the floor and it is still "raw" unfinished oak, you could apply a liquid wax or oil, which is easier than a paste wax.

Liquid wax is easier to apply, but won't quite last as long; which shouldn't be an huge issue if the main objective is to sell the home. It is applied and wiped off by hand and a soft lint free cloth. Apply even and lightly. Once dry, the solvent evaporates and the polish remains, which can now be buffed by had with a clean terry cloth towel.

Be sure to follow the label instructions for exact application details. And most of all, be sure there is NO urethane or varnish currently on the floor for this type of wax to work.

Water-based silicon polishes are now used just to keep the floor protected and looking fresh. These can only be applied to a floor that has a urethane finish.

I hope this helps!

Dustin Deslauriers
EverWood Flooring

Profile E-mail