Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: OSMO Hardwax or Synteko Solid/Natural
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 am 
New User

I'm going to use a penetrating oil finish on my 3/4 white oak floors, I've narrowed things down to either the OSMO Hardwax or Synteko Solid finishes.

Does anyone have experience with how either of these hold up or the maintenance involved in a home environment?

Thanks

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:49 am 
New User

I'm posting a follow-up in case it helps anyone else with their decision about a penetrating oil finish.

I decided not to go with Synteko for two reasons. The primary reason was product availability. Using the distributor locator on their website, I called every distributor in my state and the closest 6 states to me and no one carried this particular product. I only found one company up in Chicago that even had it. It didn't help that their sales/customer service department never returned any of my calls.

From what I read, the maintenance of this product would cause more of a distruption in my home than what I can afford. When you have to revive the finish, the amount of time you have to stay off the floor is too long for me. With two kids and a dog, I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I've applied the OSMO Hardwax in one room so far and couldn't be happier. It was extremely easy to apply and it addresses one of my main concerns with my original factory coated floor - I can't see the scratches from my dog!! I know they are there, but I can't see them.

Before using OSMO on my floor, I sanded the factory coating off of a few pieces of scrap floor and applied two coats of the OSMO finish. After letting them dry, I took my keys and a screwdriver and scratched up the scraps. It was very difficult to see the marks I made. Plus the wood looks great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:58 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Thanks for the report. I've heard good things about that product but have never tried it. Glad to hear it is working for you. :)