Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Owens Engineered Unfinished Plank Brazilian Cherry
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:14 pm 
New User

Anyone have any information on this product? I am looking to install about 640 square feet on a concrete slab. Just wondering about the product itself. I was also considering Lauzon Brazilian Cherry. How does the Owens product rate compared to Lauzon which is an engineered prefinished floor?

Thanks.. Terry

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:45 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

They are two really different products. The Lauzon Next Step fits very nicely but the boards are SHORT with 24" being the longest. Plus it is prefinished. The Owen's is designed to be sanded and finished after installation. You must sand the Owen's. I just did an Owen's Plank Floor in Red Oak. Very impressive long lengths (unusual for an engineered) and the milling was good but there was/is overwood as the floor is designed to be sanded. Don't even think you can skip this step or just screen it. One needs to agressively sand these floors. I used 60 grit and cut at a 30 deg. angle in both directions to flatten the floor. With proper sanding, the Owen's looks great because of the quality top layer and the long lengths. The few Next Step floors I've done looked good too. The shorts didn't stand out as much as I thought they would. Your decision should be based on whether or not you prepared for on site sanding and finishing!

Post subject: Owens Engineered Unfinished Plank Brazilian Cherry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:24 am 
New User

Thanks for the info Gary. I do have an installer who will be sanding and leveling the slab. Just moved into a townhouse that has a floating pine floor. Just don't like the sound when walking on it since it echoes a lot with the two story ceilings and I'm looking for something in a richer color. I'm hoping the installation on the slab will be a bit quieter. There seems to be a lot of products to choose from. I do like the tone and color of the Lauzon so if I go with the Owens product would need to get the right stain to achieve the same look. Owens is about $1.60 cheaper a square foot to purchase. Just wasn't sure it if was as good a product. I also like the long lengths in the Owens selection.

Post subject: owens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:15 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I used Owens unfinished Brazilian Cherry flooring and loved it, My pictures are posted under the heading Owens unfinished brazilian cherry....It went together great and was a real first class product. :)