Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: padding on a kahrs floating floor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:58 am 
New User

Ok, ok... every time i have a plan... it gets shot down by you guys. throw me a bone people :(. not that i am upset or anything. :roll: short story. I started think solid 5/16 glue down... That brought out some strong opinions. :shock: so i said... ok Ill go with an enginered glue down. Kahrs looks good. But the only person to reply said, that he would not advise gluing kahrs.

So now it looks like i have 1k feet of kahrs hardwood that I really like. I am not aganst floating it, BUT i want to minimiz the floating sound. SOOOO, what is the best padding?

your help has been great... thanks
mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:58 am 
Prized Contributor

I have installed quite a bit of the Kahrs Woodloc with great results every time. Stick with the Kahrs brand underlayment. It's a premium grade and much easier to put down than the foam rolls you see at the big box stores. You want to keep your warranty intact too.

To minimize the floating sound you should make every effort to get your substrate as flat as possible. I carry a long straight black gas line pipe with me and I will roll it around to do a quick check on any trouble spots. Then I pull out my straight edge and get to work.

My floating floors feel pretty solid because I have the substrate flat before I install any flooring over it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:12 pm 
New User

When installing on a concrete floor with slight waviness to it (a basement floor may look flat...but there are always spots). What is the best method to build up the lower areas? Stacking roofing felt?

Thanks!
Jim