Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pall X-98 vs. Bona Traffic?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:41 pm 
New User

Hello. We are in the process of gathering bids to install and finish red oak flooring throughout the main level of our new home. The contractor on the most recent bid recommends using Pall X-98 over Bona Traffic. He views it as more durable. Thoughts? Experiences? Things to consider?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Pall X-98 vs. Bona Traffic?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would always recommend to go with what your contractor is most comfortable with, if you dont like what he is using find someone else who uses that particular product regularly your gonna end up better off in the end. If he is recommending palman then he obviously thinks he can do his best work with that product. No one in todays market is turning down work so even if he never had used traffic before in his life he will give it a shot anyway. No one likes to find out in the end they were some sort of guinea pig. BTW Traffic is an excellent finish but imho think its overpriced and overrated from all the marketing gurus at Bona. There are plenty of other high quality 2 part waterbornes that are just as nice or better than traffic. Its just most dont have the exposure that the Bona products have.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:23 pm 
New User

Makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for your reply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 am 
Valued Contributor

I think Kevin made some good points. I have not actually worked with the Palman finish but have used a lot of Bona Traffic. Traffic is an excellent finish in two ways :

It has an excellent sheen . Not that it is more or less shiny but it has a richness and clarity to it that is almost as nice as oil.
Secondly, no other waterborne finish can be applied as heavy to the floor as Traffic can. I can spread 1 gallon to about 370 square feet which is very ,very heavy and it will flow out perfectly. In comparison, I have worked with Basic Coatings finishes and none of their finishes can be put on nearly that thick without bubbling/ pimpling.

So the traffic is expensive but to me is worth it in the end. If your contractor is not comfortable with it , then it might make sense to stick with palman.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:00 am 
New User

Thanks for your reply! I agree completely that we probably should stick to what our contractor likes to use, however we are still receiving bids for the job, so I'm wondering if we need to find a contractor that likes to use Bona traffic! :D

I have been searching for information on the Pall X-98 and haven't found much, but I'm thinking that's because I'm using the wrong search term. It's really a "Palman" brand water-based stain correct?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

The product is pallman x-98 . Or Pall X-98 . Pallman also offers Pall Xtreme.Here's an older thread that covers some opinions on the product:

http://www.uzin-utz.com/uzin/Produkte/D ... /11655.pdf

I can't say much about it as I haven't used it. I'm located in Connecticut and none of my suppliers even carry it which gives me the impression that it isn't very popular in New England yet which may be marketing related more than anything as each company has sales reps trying to sew up certain sales areas.

For instance , I had a customer from Texas that swore by a certain water borne finish and she ordered it for the job.I have forgotten the brand since then (maybe "diamond" something ?) And it certainly wasn't better than traffic but it made her happy. But none of my New England suppliers carry it.

It looks like the appropriate sealer to use with Pall-X98 is Pall-X325 . I'm sure any good contractor can use any product but so far, Traffic is the best looking and most user friendly waterborne product I have worked with. The Bonakemi company also offers a specialized roller system for applying it as heavy as they recommend.

What state are you located in ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have maple floors with 1 seal coat followed by 4 coats of traffic.
I have 2 kids 2 cats and 1 dog.

Here I am 5 years later and I must say that they still look great! I cant justify refinishing them!
Very minimal yellowing has occurred near the sliding glass door but thats it.

Profile E-mail