Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pallmann - Hardwood Flooring Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:04 pm 
New User

I'm trying to figure out what happened to my floors.

Has anyone here had problems with the Pallmann Magic Oil not adhering to the hardwood? We built a custom home, had 5" oak flooring installed and then we asked for the Pallmann Barnwood finish/color mix. It's a two step color process. First the brown/black is put on, then a white is added the next day. This came out absolutely awful. One area looked much lighter than the rest of the area. It seemed fine when our installer put the brown/black on. The next day when he was putting the white on, he was on the phone with the Pallmann rep because he was having issues with it. Plus there were other problem area. Bottom line - the rep came out, the upstairs where the white was put down had to be sanded because it wasn't fixable. Now I'm dealing with another rep and he's saying there's a chance it was the oak floor - something got on it at some point in time. This was a brand new install.

This is what I'm hearing.

1st hardwood installer: He felt it was the product
1st Pallmann rep: He felt it was the oak hardwood
2nd hardwood installer: He felt it was technique. I think this was the first time the installer did a second coat like this. I could be wrong.
2nd Pallmann rep: There's a chance it was the hardwood. It wasn't the product.

I'd like to know what happened. How do I post a photo?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Pallmann - Hardwood Flooring Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

It may be that the first coat was not completely hardened. Oils "dry" quickly as the solvent evaporates, but the oils need to harden which can take days in some circumstances. The wood will absorb thin oils more deeply and need to react with oxygen to complete the hydrolization process to be less affected by another coat of oil.

Profile E-mail