Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paper-Backed Parquet Adhesive
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm 
New User

I am resetting about fifteen 12x12" teak parquet tiles (Haddon Hall). Some I pried up, others are new (well, old, but never set -1970's). They are black paper backed. The mastic I removed was brittle and yellow in color on plywood subfloor.
My question is what adhesive should I use to replace the tile? Many adhesive's labels say "plain-backed parquet". My guess is the paper negates that.

Your help is appreciated.
Many Thanks.
Don

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Paper-Backed Parquet Adhesive
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Never dealt with old paper back. The paper with today's stuff holds the pattern together and installed with paper side up and placed into the adhesive. Then a moist sponge is used to loosen the paper so it pulls off easily.

Pictures?

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am 
New User

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gupPNR9dLzstaO8bMRGjwtQTAMSSmynL3w/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for your response. Here is an image of what I have.
Don

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:29 am 
Prized Contributor

We used to use cold bond or cut-back asphalt adhesive to glue either foam backed parquet tiles or even ¾ inch tongue and groove shorts to concrete in the 80's.
We would let it flash off the solvent, then stick the flooring to it, rolling it into the mastic with a large roller, or tapping it with a rubber mallet. The only thing available here that would do the same thing is roofing patch, but it has fibers mixed in.
I think that this would work, if you could spread evenly without having the fibers causing too much of a problem. We used a one sixteenth inch notched trowel so we didn't spread too much, like bonding asphalt tiles to cement. For the ¾ inch solid oak we used cold bond with quarter-inch notches, but this flooring has channels on the underside to accept the extra.
Maybe your state can still sell cut-back asphalt adhesive which is what you need.
A roofing supply may have something that would work.

Profile E-mail