Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Patagonian rosewood finishing problems
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:12 am 
Newbie Contributor

I had a very reputable firm install and finish my Patagonian rosewood. trouble is aft they put the 2nd coat of finish down (not stain- they use ZAR polyurethane satin) the floor began to show thousands of white spots, nothing larger than a dime. They said they never seen this before, so they sanded (after it was sanded or buffed what ever term you guys use--you could see where the white blemishes were) and put ont he 3rd coat and the white spots disappeard but then where ever the spots were there were "dimples" so to speak of where the spots were almost like little depressions. They came back and resanded and this time put a bonding agent in the ZAR (something called #7) and the dimples or depressions are still there but not as bad but are noticible in certain lighting conditions. It almost looks like high heel marks in the floor, other than that it is a beautiful floor!!
I am getting frustrated and so are they. They are coming out again!! Any suggestions.

Material was acclimated for 2 weeks with HVAC on set at 75(our normal setting)

thanks in advance for the replies

I also posted this in the problems section in case I am in the wrong forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:37 pm 
Prized Contributor

The finish is incompatible for the oily wood.

Post subject: Rosewood
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:38 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I'm not familiar with Rosewood as far as finishing it. But since Floorguy (if that truly is your name) mentioned the oil content, the finishing should have started with a special shellac sealer called SealCoat by Zinsser. Or that same product is under the Parks label as Universal Sealer also made by Zinsser.
It's a great barrier coat. Then top-coat with either oil or water-based finish.
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:37 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks Charles for the reply, I am going to give this info to my installer--very easy to work with and see what he says, but I have to wait till Zar gets back to them. They(installer) mentioned fisheyed also and that is another reason they added the bonding agent.

FYI folks, I also posted this in the Yikes I have problems forum so I am asking that future response be over there because I dont know how to delete this one and why confuse everyone with a double post.
Sorry for confusion