Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pergo/ click together floor repair
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:26 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

We put down a few pergo (click together) floors. My question is their anyway to do a repair. Say a board in the middle of the floor gets damaged is their away to repair it. I repaired hardwood almost weekly, But how can it be done.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:42 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Laminate flooring is essentially Formica on your floor. And, no there is no way to repair it to any standard that would be aesthetically pleasing.

But, these are snap-n-click floors. This means that you can just unsnap them to get to the damaged plank and replace it just as easily as you installed it to begin with.

Best of Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:32 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

You can cut out the plank that is damaged and cut off the tounge of the new plank, using some glue and put it back in. It is tough to figure out if you've never done it before. I know in my area we charge about $175.00 for a plank replacement. Don't need to tear up everything, only need a few boards incase the first doesn't fit right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:55 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

What about the floating floor thing. These click floors are not nailed down so if you cut the tounge off and glue it in place you will still be able to tell, I did this under my first baseboard closeing(last peice about 15"). It didn't really work so I gave myself a 1/4 inch and pulled it in with the J bar. The rest of the baseboard heat was no problem but I can't see it working in the middle of the floor.
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:03 am 
they have suckcen cups to pull up the floor next to the bad one ,take it out and replace it with a new one ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:40 pm 
Prized Contributor

What ends up happening, is you cut through the underlyment and moisture barrier, or mess it up, compromising it.

It is easier to dismantle to a corner, numbering rows, as you take them apart. Charge to dismantle, then charge to reinstall. You can make out like a bandit, on some, some I just charge hourly if it is a small thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:06 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

To get endorsed by pergo this is one of the things you have to do to pass. Set your depth on skilsaw cut chicken feet in it then chisel to the ends. If done CORRECTLY you will never tell. Just have to put some weight on it until the glue dries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:44 am 
Prized Contributor

I would do a plank replacement first, if for some unknown reason that did not work, only then I would dismantle the floor. An exception would if the board is close to a wall or in a narrow hallway, then the dismantling might be a better choice.

Profile E-mail