Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Photos - cracks between boards.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:50 pm 
New User

My floors are starting to show cracks and gaps between the boards. I need suggestions on wood fillers (name brands please) or any repair comments.

The wood was acclimated for 2 weeks before it went down, so I'm a little stumped why this is happening now - 2 years later. and ... the professionals had smeared wood filler over the entire install before sanding/buffing/finishing.

Can this kind of thing be spot-treated or is it best to have them re-finish the whole floor? thanks for any help!

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:32 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Ann,
This looks suspiciously like a floor I did that showed some gaps. Do you live in Oakley, CA? I think I was suppopsed to contact you again but could not find your contact information. Please PM me and we can exchange info and set up a time for me to review the job. If you are not my previous customer, my apologies.

Regards,

Gary Clontz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

That would be amaizing if a customer of yours found you here Gary! I'm guessing the answer is no and it's likley to be the typical shrinkage many see in winter months when dry heat is introduced into the environoment.

Those "problems" are very minor compared to other stories I often hear--wait until spring or buy a humidifier.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:49 pm 

Ken, the reason I thought so was because I installed this type of floor approx two years ago (quarter sawn red oak, natural finish in place). On the first picture, there is another wood. I had also installed a brazilian cherry floor that I thought butted to the oak, just like the picture shows. Also, they had called and asked me to come out and look at the floor due to gaps in the red oak (the cherry was fine). It turned out to be mostly solar gain from the family room windows and seasonal gapping. Seems like too many coincidences but I guess there very well may be another one just like the one I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:56 pm 
New User

No worries Gary - I'm not your customer!

I take it from Ken that it's probably not necessary to fill the gaps? The gaps are very noticeable - at least to me (but then again I see it up-close when cleaning).

Will the boards tighten back up in the warm weather - or are the cracks there to stay?

Didnt consider the humidity factor. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:05 pm 

Ann,
If the gaps do not close back up after summer and fall AND are permanent, you could have a filler installed (like Woodwise or Timbermate) and have the floors screened and recoated. You don't want to do this if the gaps close back up because it will push the filler back out and then you will have little ridges of filler along the cracks. Try to keep the relative interior humidity between 45 and 50% by using a humidifier or other low tech means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

Yes, if the gaps are still there come July orAugust, fill them. I wouldn't do it now.