Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pine ceiling finish
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:37 pm 
OK, this is the exact opposite of floor finishing, I know. Here is what I have. I'm planning on installing hickory floors, haven't figured out yet if I will be using oil or water based on it yet, I want it to stay a light color, so I'm thinking water.

The ceilings I'm doing 6 inch v groove pine planks. I want to keep it from ambering as much as possible, so I figure I need to use some water based product. But since it won't be walked on, it doesn't have to be extremely hard.

Any suggestions for my ceiling? Just any water based polyurethane, or is there something better?

Ron

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:22 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

It depends on how you are applying the finish. If a pro painter was doing the job overhead, I'm sure he would seriously consider using an airless sprayer. It's fast and in the right hands, does an excellent job. Most finishes can be sprayed using the correct tip. Since you are only looking to seal and finish the ceiling to prevent oxidization of the wood, any non-ambering finish will do. Water-white laquer sprays and dries nicely but is flamable (inexpensive also) And any waterbased acrylic should work also. You would not be able to brush or roll a laquer however. It must be sprayed. Both Minwax and Flecto make inexpensive acrylic type finishes that will work fine for a ceiling and can be brushed, rolled or sprayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:17 am 
Newbie Contributor

I would suggest water based Varathane. It will keep the pine very light in color.