Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Planning DIY Hardwood Install
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:09 am 
Prized Contributor

A warm environment will help the wood acclimate sooner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Planning DIY Hardwood Install
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:46 am 
New User

kelchm wrote:
Hi all!

I'm planning to start installing ~1100sqft of this beautiful 4" wide curly maple (photos) in my home sometime in April. I've never installed any type of flooring before but I'm very much willing to take my time and learn what I need to know up front in order to be successful.

Floorplan

Ultimately, I plan to install this flooring in all the areas highlighted in blue: Dining Room, Living Room, Hallway, Both Guest Rooms and the Master Bedroom.

That's a good decision and you should go with that but as you said 1100 sqr ft is quite big area so you showuld be careful or we can say very carefull while applied casue a lil bit mistake causes a big loss, mainely you should follow some guidlines

1. Use Dewaxed Shellac which gives you Best “Clear” Finish On Curly Maple
2. use Oil for Popping the Grain, Giving Curly Maple an Aged Amber Color

3. Use Dye as well for Bold and Stunning Figure Pop

How to Apply Alcohol Based Dye on Curly Maple

Prep your material by sanding to 220 coarseness or better, wipe off the residue

Weaken the color by 25% to half with denatured liquor

Utilize a cotton cloth or a wipe to apply the color. It dries quick, so work rapidly

Give the layer of color a chance to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, at that point sand the work piece until the shading falls off the outside of the wood. You'll see that the twists stay hued. That is immaculate

Apply two additional layers of color, sanding it off between each. Try not to sand off the last coat. although you need a proper kit of tools for perfection

Not long after subsequent to applying the last coat, hose a cloth with denatured liquor and wipe the work piece to try and out the shading and mix in any lap marks you made

Originally I had hoped to start in a currently unused guest room (Guest Room 1) that has already been stripped to bare subfloor... but the more research I do the more I'm questioning if it's actually possible for me to start in that room without causing myself issues down the line.

Any thoughts on where I would ideally start and how bad of an idea it would be to start in that guest room instead?

PS: The subfloor throughout the house is 5/8" plywood with 2x10 joists 12" on center.

Profile E-mail