Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Planning stage.- Room transitions.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:47 am 
Valued Contributor

Common line is running left to right? Use it as your starting baseline and work all rooms in both directions so that the board joints will 'line up' across the doorway transitions. Floor joists run top to bottom in your picture? Current foyer hardwood installed parallel to the red common line? Rule of thumb is that if a room is over 20 feet wide the boards should be layed in both directions....in this case your master bedroom will benefit from this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:05 am 
Newbie Contributor

Job is going great!!! I am almost done; just one room left. It took A LONG TIME to prepare everything, remove/replace screws in OSB, had to sand down a couple of places where the OSB boards were butted together too tight.....

Anyway; went with no transitions and couldn't be happier with the looks. Spent extra time measuring and making sure that I kept straight lines every time I got into a new room, but it wasn't that hard really.

I want to thank all members here and specially JIMMIEM for all the help!!!!!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123 ... z7ynxk.jpg

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:29 am 
Valued Contributor

Great job!!!!!!! Update that resume...you're on your way to a new career!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:06 am 
Newbie Contributor

JIMMIEM wrote:

ha ha I am just glad it turned out good. I do have a couple of squeaks I need to address, but other than that I have to say I am very proud.

Oh, and the pictures don't make justice. It is a lot prettier than what the photo shows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 am 
Valued Contributor

RickA1 wrote:
JIMMIEM wrote:

ha ha I am just glad it turned out good. I do have a couple of squeaks I need to address, but other than that I have to say I am very proud.

Oh, and the pictures don't make justice. It is a lot prettier than what the photo shows.

Where are the squeaks?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:32 am 
Newbie Contributor

JIMMIEM wrote:
Where are the squeaks?

They are in the kitchen; one is in an area where I could not use the floor nailer but there's little traffic, one in a high traffic area. No idea why it is squeaking. Not the subfloor.
Not sure what I'll do either. Was thinking a few face nails, but I'm afraid that won't do anything for it. Maybe I'll just have to go with a couple of screws and then cover that somehow. It's prefinished so I don't think plugging would work well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:42 am 
Valued Contributor

RickA1 wrote:
JIMMIEM wrote:
Where are the squeaks?

They are in the kitchen; one is in an area where I could not use the floor nailer but there's little traffic, one in a high traffic area. No idea why it is squeaking. Not the subfloor.
Not sure what I'll do either. Was thinking a few face nails, but I'm afraid that won't do anything for it. Maybe I'll just have to go with a couple of screws and then cover that somehow. It's prefinished so I don't think plugging would work well.

You could try some talcum powder at the joints but this wouldn't be forever. Are the squeaks at the board end joints? If so, couple of options. 1. Drive a couple of finish nails at an angle toward each other. 2. Use trim head screws...countersink and cover with matching filler....if possible put the screw in an area where you can get a good filler match....darker area is better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:18 am 
Newbie Contributor

JIMMIEM wrote:
You could try some talcum powder at the joints but this wouldn't be forever. Are the squeaks at the board end joints? If so, couple of options. 1. Drive a couple of finish nails at an angle toward each other. 2. Use trim head screws...countersink and cover with matching filler....if possible put the screw in an area where you can get a good filler match....darker area is better.

I have not looked close enough yet; but thanks for the tips. Will for sure use them.

Profile E-mail