Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PLEASE HELP... MINWAX POLY PROBLEMS !!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:45 am 
New User

:?: I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON HERE !!
I finished staining new oak floors with Minwax oil stain, waited 3 days and started to apply the Fast-Drying oil poly for floors with lambswool applicator. After 5 min the poly started to look blotchy, like it wasn't adhering properly. So I wiped it up with thinner cause it wasn't going to change. I called Minwax and they say it sounds like applicator problems- THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE ! Did the same exact method last year in other room. This is a new pad and NEW gal. of poly- it's got to be the poly, they say no - anyone have this before ??
Anyone use "Varathane" for floors ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:01 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I haven't used Minwax floor products, but I can tell you from experience that anything made by Minwax is garbage and a waste of money.

Zar is one of the best general purpose polys out there. I've used their general purpose oil based poly on some hardwood stairs I threw together in one of my rental properties, and the stuff so far has been indestructable to the college students having parties there. I applies very easily and levels nicely on whatever you put it on, unlike Minwax. I've gotten results ranging from acceptable to horrible with Minwax, and the only difference was the can it came out of. Their product is not that great in the first place, and it's even worse because of the inconsistency between batches.

Personally I think you'd be better with Zar's general purpose poly than you would with a Minwax floor product. Or, even better, get something from Bona for your floors. I have Bona Traffic on mine and it's absolutely beautiful and was not difficult to apply.

Post subject: minwax problem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:31 pm 
New User

Minwax stain has been junk since they changed for VOC law.
IT DOES NOT DRY!!!
Poly separating is from the stain not drying.
I use Last N Last stains.
I called minwax a couple of years ago, asked what to do for stain not drying...was told "wipe it off".
Great advice.