Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Please help this first-time homeowner
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:27 pm 
New User

Hello!! Looking for some advise from others who know more about hardwood floors than me! I decided to re-finish my floors and successfully got to the bare wood with the drum sander and edge sander (grit 36 —> 60, 3 passes each). However, I’m noticing these edger marks and I’m not sure if I need to sand more with grit 36/60 or more on to grit 80/100. The marks are wide, white marks where the edger overlapped with the drum sander.Should I try a random orbital or buff sander next? I know I don’t want these marks to show up once I’m staining. Please help! Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Please help this first-time homeowner
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:45 pm 
Prized Contributor

The National Hardwood floor group recommends sanding to 100 grit with both the drum sander and the edger. Some mechanics sand to 80 grit when they are going to apply multiple coats of oil based poly-urethane and the floors don't look too bad. 60 grit to help get flat, 100 for smooth finish. If you are good at edging you can skip 80. With a drum sander you can skip 80, too, if you are experienced.
If you like a stained floor 100 grit will look a lot better. Smooth floors are easier to clean and last longer before another maintenance coat is necessary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Please help this first-time homeowner
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:53 am 
New User

Hey, Lrush28! I hope that you solved it, in case if not - I think that orbital sanders from Bosch are suitable for that. Medium grit type and 2 amps motor(12000 opm) are advantages for sure!

Profile E-mail