Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Please help me with this Nightmare!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:18 pm 
New User

Ken Fisher wrote:
Quote:
He jus kept insisting My floor would be the same when finished

Sure it will, but what will it look like when the floor goes through a few seasons of expanding and contracting? Have the other floors been done for say six months at least? Something will happen unless the home has a good climate control system that keeps the relative humidity in check or consistent to when it was installed and what the moisture content of the material was.

Exactly right. And that is my point. He is telling me to invest in a humidifier, to what, make up for their crappy work?

But the floors in the other homes have gone through seasons already, and no problems. Even thought they are finished, when you're on your hands and knees your can find the two or three very minor gaps that are 1/64th to 1/32 inch and filled with putty. So it is possible to directly compare them if you take into account the size of the gaps. Mine is atrocious compared to the others.

Ken... If they chisel out boards and glue new ones in (no longer having the tongue and groove), will that hold up over time?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

What exactly was the 5 grand upgrade about? I'm confused especially if your getting bottom of the barrel grade hardwood? Is it for just the additional room? Did he show you samples of some hardwood or just show you the other houses?

Go to http://www.nicfi.org and find an inspector. Although he might only be able to tell you the same things others have said here at least you will have a professional inspection report.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:01 am 
New User

floormeintucson wrote:
What exactly was the 5 grand upgrade about? I'm confused especially if your getting bottom of the barrel grade hardwood? Is it for just the additional room? Did he show you samples of some hardwood or just show you the other houses?

Go to http://www.nicfi.org and find an inspector. Although he might only be able to tell you the same things others have said here at least you will have a professional inspection report.

It's not supposed to be "Bottom of the barrel". They claim it is #2. I saw several homes in various stages of floor completion, from hardwood actually being installed,(so in this sense I did see samples) to installed but not sanded, to sanded, to completely finished. I looked at them all closely, and they were all beautiful. Again we just went over to look at the neighbors together, and it was tight.

So the base price of the home came with a #2 Oak hardwood floor in the kitchen and attaching open areas leading to mudroom and bedrooms. The $5000 upgrade extended the #2 Oak hardwood floor to include the entire great room/dining room combo.

See floor plan .https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue925qybxl1tx0z/Screen%20Shot%202015-04-11%20at%208.52.43%20AM.png?dl=0

I did call an inspector but it is over $700 to inspect.

Profile E-mail