Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Please recommend best finish for black asj
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:18 pm 
New User

I currently installed black ash flooring from my property. It is extremly knotty and some of the wood was beginning to rott making some areas very soft. My neighbors have the same flooring but a lot of the knots are loosing and breaking free. It is a soft wood ane dents easily. The flooring has wide gaps where it butts together at the tongue and groove joints. This wood is very supsebable to climate changes. In the summer a lot of the joints close an in winter they open even with humidty control. Im looking for finish i can pour into the knots that will lock them in place and not allow them to break free. I read a lot and think the bona traffic would.be a good finish but im worried about the knots. Please advice me on what i should use to finish the floor with.

Thank You
Jason

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Please recommend best finish for black asj
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

how old is the floor and what type of finish is on their now? Itrs rare to have many loose knots in flooring they normally are culled out during manufacturing. Sounds like traffic would work for what you aretrying to achieve, my only suggestion would be to wait till summer to refinish the floor when it has smaller gaps. Poring traffic down a cracks at 125.00 a gallon isnt very cost effective.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

Pouring anything in them hardly works well cus it runs down under. But an epoxy wood filler or bondo mixed with a black tint works good. Best way to do it is before the install or put tape under the knots then install it and fill it and sand it.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 pm 
Valued Contributor

Prior to sanding, I have filled big holes and knots with 2 part epoxy from West Marine. Works very well.A waterborne finish or oil based urethane probably wont do much of anything.

As Stephen mentioned, it's important to get something down into the void to trap your epoxy resin. I have used fine wood dust as well as brown and black sand blasting media.Even fine stone dust can work depending on what color you want.

I tried some of the cheaper Home Depot type of quick epoxies and they are mediocre.They don't dry clear and smooth like west marine epoxy.BTW, West Marine is a boating supply retailer.

Profile E-mail