Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pneumatic Floor Nailer not Driving Nails Flush
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:25 pm 
Hi guys,

I like the new message board! I'm doing my first DIY install of 3/4" solid red oak. I'm placing the oak over a 1 1/4" CDX plywood subfloor (3/4" plus an extra 1/2"). I'm using the Pneumatic version of the Porta Nails nailer. I'm setting my compressor up to 105 Psi and about 50% of the nails do not set properly into the tongue. If I use 95 psi it's even worse. I have to manually set them flush with a nail set or the next board does not make a tight fit.

I've tried switching air compressors with no improvement. Both compressors I've used are 3HP, 4 gallon. One is 4.5cfm and the other is 6cfm. And yes, I'm using all 3/8" hoses and attachments.

Does it sound like the problem is in the nailer? It is brand new. If I lean my bodyweight onto the handle of the nailer when striking it reduces the recoil away from the board being nailed and tends to work better, but far from perfect. Is this the reason most pros seem to use the Bostitich stapler? Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Jim

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: nailer problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:46 pm 
Jim,

Get another nailer! Sounds like yours isn't working right. I only run my Stanley Bostich M111 FS at 75 to 80 lbs. and it works great on red oak. BTW, mine is 14 yrs. old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sounds like you are getting some blow-by,Jim.

The gun is defective. One improperly installed(or missing!) o-ring will cause what you are experiencing.

At 105 pounds,you should be shooting cleats into the basement. Take it back and get a new one. I also use the bostich M-111. I stay around 80 pounds. I have little experience with pneumatic cleat guns,but I know they have a piston big enough to sink the dog-scat out of a lil' ole cleat.

Post subject: Problem Solved
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 am 
Thanks guys. You were absolutely right (as usual). I ran to HD and picked up the MIIIFS. It works awesome. It not only drives the fastener flush with the tongue, it also "pushes" warped boards together a split second before firing the staple.

I'm in the process of getting my money back for the Portamatic.

Thanks - Jim