Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Polyurethane toxicity concern.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:20 am 
New User

Hi, I have a questions. Yesterday we had hardwood floors finished with oil based polyurethane in our upstairs bedrooms so we slept downstairs it was not until today I found out poly was heavier than air which is why our basement smelled so bad. We also had another coat put on in the rooms today. My question is how much damage did we do to ourselves by sleeping in the basement while the fumes were engulfing us? I refuse to sleep in the house after last night. What makes it worse is the guy we hired claimed it is non toxic and safe to be in the house as long as we can deal with the smell. Can anyone please help? I am afraid that my family and I were exposed to poison for the entire night as we slept. Two of my family members are actually sleeping in the basement right now as I type this and I am in my car where I plan on sleeping bc I refuse to sleep in the house.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Polyurethane toxicity concern.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 am 
Valued Contributor

Contact the product manufacturer or poison control. If you are having any symptoms get medical attention.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:33 am 
New User

JIMMIEM wrote:
Contact the product manufacturer or poison control. If you are having any symptoms get medical attention.

No symptoms that I can tell, maybe I got lucky? I called the contractor and he said he uses Bona Poly oil based and again stated it was safe. But I still wonder. I guess it can't be that bad if he has been working with it for over 25 years?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:53 pm 
Valued Contributor

Go to the Bona web site and read the OSHA info. Problems usually come from prolonged or repeated exposure but problems can occur from short term exposure if you breath in a lot of it.

Profile E-mail