Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Power distribution centers.....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:56 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Is it safe to run the big sanders off of a power distribution center such as the one below? I am sick and tired of blowing 15A breakers on residential refinish jobs and this could be just the ticket. My concern is the extreme cord length which ultimately ends at the belt sanders. If I run a 50'-70' 6ga 50A line from the service box to the distribution center and then another 100' cord to the sander I'm asking for quite a bit of resistance, could this be potentially harmful to the big machines?

more info here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000289AQK/qid=1142991317/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/104-9475454-8033531?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Thanks
Christof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:54 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

The only time I have to run my Hummel off of a "10 power box" is when I'm on new construction and the general contractor does not have the final to turn on the mains yet. He will bring in a power box like you're describing and all us subs plug into that. There is always a 220 30 amp outlet for me to plug my sander in. I use 10 gauge cable to my sander and run up to 100 ft with no problems. Hummel makes a power booster for longer runs or low power sources. There are others available as well. In a occupied residence, I'll plug into the electric dryer outlet with an adapter I made (quite easy) as electric dryers require 220 volts and usually are 30 amps or more. If there isn't an electric dryer, I'll take over (2) 110 20 amp circuits in the breaker box and hardwire my sander to those (2) 110 breakers. I don't recommend you try this if you do not know EXACTLY what you're dealing with and how to work safely around electricity. It is easy to do but you MUST know what you are doing or it could kill you. This is the way most pros deal with it in an occupied residence. If you are not sure, hire an electrician one time to hook you up and show you how to do it safely. BTW, My Hummel's motor is almost bullet proof and I've run it on some pretty crummy power but I cannot speak for other companies. They all want to see their motors getting the correct voltage and amperage. Long cable runs will reduce voltage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:34 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary

Thanks for your input. I hardwire my Galaxy machines into service panels if I can find a 30A double pole or make room for one of my own breakers. Galaxy has a harder startup draw that Hummel so I cannot wire into (2) single pole 20A breakers, making power hook-up a PITA at times. Also, I run Bona HD DCS systems with power actuated vacuums that require a 20A circuit....I do not need to go on about how much fun it is to locate a 20A residential outlet :roll:

c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:31 pm 

Those Galaxys are nice machines! I never considered the power they needed but it should have registered with me with those large 7.5 hp motors. This is what you could consider. If you already have a double pole breaker for 220, when you need to go into the service panel, just pull out one or two of the other circuits, temporarily. Not everything is being used while you're sanding. If you get one of those power distribution center boxes, you still have to hook that up. What's the difference? That distribution center will need a 220 hook up to deliver 220 to itself. I fail to see much advantage. I just go into the breaker box when there isn't a 220 plug. Will your sander start and run fine with a 30 amp connection or do you need 50 amps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:15 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary

The value added by using a distribution center, as I see it, is the convenience of the six 20 amp 110 outlets and the extra 50 ft of 220v. I run the Bona collector, which is power actuated, with my edgers and buffers. This requires a 20 amp circuit or else I'm running down to dingy basements about ever 30 seconds to reset 15amp breakers. If you have ever tried to run two edgers at once with dust collection you know what a hassel the power situation can be. Plus, as much as I hate to say it, it looks more professional as well.

I verified with Galaxy rep that this distribution center will not harm the 7.5 hp motors as long as the cord length does not exceed 200 ft. 10awg.

Almost forgot, Galaxy will start fine with 30A. I often even get away with 20A but the single poles 20's don't quite make it for that big heavy 7.5 motor. Sure wish Galaxy could find a way to shave off a few lbs from their sanders....but then I guess they would not cut through maple like butter which is the reason I run them :roll:

Regards
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:00 pm 

I guess you have your answer then.

Post subject: Re: Power distribution centers.....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

An electrical contractor can make up a system that would run off a 50 amp breaker in the panel. This is usually what the distribution boxes are rated. You would need to make a panel with 20 amp breakers for 120 volts and 30 amp breakers for the 240 with leads to join up with the main panel that has a 50 amp breaker.

Profile E-mail