Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prefinished floor, unfinished threshold pieces
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:52 pm 
New User

We purchased prefinished Brazilian Cherry from Bellawood (Lumber Liquidators). When the threshold, quarter round and stairnose pieces came in, we found to our dismay that they were unfinished. (Stupid on our part. We thought we were ordering finished pieces because we had asked if they would match the flooring.) The guy at the warehouse assured me that there was no stain on the product. Just poly. So we spent the weekend sanding the product and applying multiple coats of poly. Guess what? They don't match. Now we're told by their technical department that we should have used a water-based poly, not an oil-based. Suggestions? Other than the fact that we NEVER do business with these jack---es again.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Prefinished floor, unfinished threshold pieces
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

cgriffin wrote:
We purchased prefinished Brazilian Cherry from Bellawood (Lumber Liquidators). The guy at the warehouse assured me that there was no stain on the product. Just poly. Other than the fact that we NEVER do business with these jack---es again.

Ok, The warehouse guy said it was unstained with poly.

That sounds like a finished threshold to me?

I have never seen a stained Brazillian Cherry floor! The natural beauty is usually just finished with poly. There will be variation in boards with a brazillian cherry.

Why did you re-poly an already poly finished threshold?

I'm confused???? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:14 am 
New User

No, I guess I didn't make myself clear. The FLOOR was finished with poly but the thresholds, etc. were unfinished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

cj:

Sounds like you may have to start over--sand off all finish. An oil based finish will "darken" the color more than a water based finish. Quite honestly I don't think many will notice the quarter round color, but the stair nosing may stick out quite a bit.

I've tried to refrain from Lumber Liquidator comments on the board, but it does sound like things are getting worse. Some of those managers aren't very knowledeagble when it comes to hardwood floors--BUT there are some that know what they're talking about.

It's really no wonder why there are many screwups. They continue to advertise like crazy, yet they don't have the inventory--exotics.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail