Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prefinished flooring and installer issues
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:21 pm 
New User

I bought a new home and the builder opted for a company to install Satin Finish flooring product, 3/4" prefinished red-oak. I have started to notice a signifant amount of heiving (I think thats the term). I started looking around a bit more and noticed about 20-25 boards in the 500 sq. foot area have cracks right in the middle of them, hairline but noticeable. Also, some of the ends of the boards have cracks, so much so that the stain on the top has actually flaked off. We have only had the house 2 months, we have A/C and an HRV system in place. We turned the HRV system off for the summer so we don't dry out the house too much.

I had my friend's dad in who has been in the hardwood business probably 20 years now and he said a few things:

1 - The contractors may have had the pressure set too high on the nailer, causing the boards to crack.

2 - Obvious manufacturing defects in about 20 boards. The stain is peeling off the ends of the board, shouldn't happen.

3 - We found 2 staples throughout the whole basement ceiling (subfloor) where the staples penetrated. Is this normal? He thinks they used 1 1/4" staples rather than the proper 2" which is why we don't see any more.

The company which installed the product is giving us a really hard time about inspecting it or replacing using every excuse from its the humidty in the house to "well it was fine when you moved in, what did you do to it?". I think my next step will be to hand this off to the lawyer we hired to help purchase the house.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know enough about hardwood to make a good stand.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

In law, when you purchase something, there is an implied warranty, that what you purchased will work for it's intended use. Of course, there are some ways around that, such as the item being used or damage to the item after purchase. I find that hardwood company's refusal to inspect to be deplorable behavior, and quite possibly illegal. The floor is two months old and is falling apart. You could go to an attorney, and that will cost you some big money. If it were me, I would write a strong letter to the business owner stating if the flaws are not fixed to your satisfaction, then you will take them to court. In CA, the limit in small claims is $7,500.00. Enough to repair or replace that 500 ft. floor. You would win in court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

Is this a solid 3/4" or engineered (laminated/plywood) product?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:51 am 
Prized Contributor

What Gary said, you may also need the services of a certified hardwood flooring inspector. If he/she finds in your favor their fees are normally recoverable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:26 am 
New User

It is 3/4" engineered. It looks like it has 3 1/4" pieces pressed together. Its not one solid piece. The brand is called Satin Finish if that helps.

The problem with the certified hardwood flooring inspector is, the company who did the install actually has on staff the only certified hardwood floor inspector on payroll within 500KM. So needless to say he won't be of any help. He has already taken the side of the company.

Its just interesting how a company that does so much business with the public is willing to have their name/reputation on a crappy floor. I figure that our local news station and the Home Show is coming to town soon. Maybe I could setup a booth close by :twisted: