Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prefinished hardwood extremely easy to scratch finish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 pm 
New User

We have dansk prefinished birch hardwood in earth (dark brown) colour. Finished with UV Cured Urethane, Aluminum Oxide.

We've found it ridiculously easy to dent and scratch the finish. The example I usually use is when I dropped a screw and it made a mark. It's only two years old and it is already trashed (admittedly we do have a dog but she is only 15lbs and is kept off the hardwood as much as possible and never runs on it). I would say every single board has multiple scratches all over it. Hardly any scratches have gone through the finish into the wood fortunately but are still very visible.

I've read that prefinished finishes are one of the toughest you can get for hardwood and yet my parents site finished 15 year old hardwood is in way better shape. Is it normal to scratch so easily? The dog ran circles and dragged her nails in our old place with laminate and never left a single mark.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do besides sanding and refinishing which at this rate could be needed yearly? I've read you can't recoat prefinished floors but I'm hoping I missed something.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Prefinished hardwood extremely easy to scratch finish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:08 pm 
Prized Contributor

You have a very smooth grained dark colored floor that in itself is prone to a more readily scratched looking floor. alox is all over the place in terms of durability. Some finishes have a ton and near impossible to remove and others seem to have any at all and will scratch easily. You can screen and recoat most wood floors. it may need a full sanding to get all the scratches out though. screen and recoating will only fill in some of the smaller fine scratches wont do anything for heavy wear.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:04 am 
New User

Hmm, I'm thinking this one has hardly any alox at all. I emailed Dansk about it and they recommended Zenith Almond Stick so I'll give that a try.

I'm also getting some quotes for sanding and recoating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

toooooo thick of a build in coatings..more is NEVER better....some products have and advertise 10 coats etc..these floors almost always dent and scratch easily..simply put..too much lamination...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 am 
New User

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. None of the scratches seem to make it through the coating. Must be pretty thick.

The Almond stick did absolutely nothing. Need something that will fill in the small scratches in the coating. So frustrating, why manufacture a floor so easily to mark.

Profile E-mail