Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Price quote?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:40 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Okay so on average its about 3-4 for sanding here in my area. dustless amd waterbased being the 4 dollar mark.

Wehn I have to sand prefinished floors (and remove 100% of the bevels) I run around 5-6.

Now what would be a good up charge amount to sand handscrapped flat? I would probobally have to cut the floor 6 times or so (maybe more) with 40 to get int flat I would guess.

Im not asking because I am debaiting doing it (Id rather rip it out and replace it) I just use these for my customers to know what they are getting into with prefinished/handscrapped materials.

When the customer is excited to have the prefinished floor installed below what it is for my raw wood installs and sand, I feel the need o tell them how much it would cost to change it for a prospective buyer etc of thier home. They arent always happy hearing it, but better I tell them upfront, vs doing the work, then 3 yrs later having them call me to sand it for selling reasons, only to realize how expensive/involved it is, then resent me for allowing them to make the descions.

And I have been getting alot of calls for handscrapped installs etc. (Its way bigger then the bamboo fad last year LOL)

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:42 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

The hand scraped fad has been going gang busters here in N. CA. as well. IMO, I think it is a poor decision unless the owner has deep pockets to constantly keep up with the fads (remove floors and replace). There is no way to correctly judge what it will cost to make flat and smooth a scraped floor because of the huge variety of products on the market. One would need to make an estimate on a per job and material basis. But I would venture to guess easily double the cost of your very average refinish..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 am 
Worthy Contributor

Yeah I am just looking for a guestimate so I can inform the customers of what the future of their floor is. Not everyone is going to like the handscrapped look so I feel better letting them know whay they/someone who buys thier home is getting into.

Like I said before im close to 50% extra to flatten out prefinished, and with the handscrapped materials I see, just getting them flat I am going to guess on double for sure, but then I have to remove the bevles/eased edges, so thats a few more cuts. I mean that is alot of time behind the machine, and trio.

Just wanted to pick everyones brain on this. I have no idea how long this fad will go on, One Large wood company here has an entire where house, with 8-10 employees hand scraping and distreisng wood. A job I would not want LOL. But with prices starting @ 44 per sq ft (and they get it regualarly) I guess its not that bad of a racket

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

Gary,
How would you "sand and re-finish" the hand-scraped ???
Even screen and re-coat would be a challenge..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm 

Actually Ray, I think a sanding job would be easier in some respects. Let's assume the customer is not wanting to keep the scraped look and wants a FLAT sanded floor. It then becomes a matter of grinding the floor down past the scraped wood, sorta like sanding a badly cupped or damaged floor. As far as recoating, this is a dilemma. The ensure adhesion, all the surface needs to be abraded. So, to do this, it needs to be done by hand as no machine can conform to the irregularities. Another approach is to use a bonding agent. One could use a de-waxed shellac as a bonding agent and when dry enough, apply a floor finish over that. Also, Basic has a system for recoating that does not require abrading the floors. It relies on a chemical bond instead of a mechanical bond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:45 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If I had to recoat one I would probobally adheare some maroon mads to my hands and knees LOL, go row by row and rough it up. Vacuming would be tough, and would tack it several times by hand also.

Coating would be another challenge, could you imagine the finish that could pool up in the low spots :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 pm 

Yep, no T-barring or rolling. We'd have to use a brush, like the old masters did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

F that LOL.

So whats the consensus on this, tripple the price? Thats what I am guessing

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:19 am 
Valued Contributor

I think 3 times normal is too low. I can already hear the consumer with the "I'm not satisfied" or "This is not what I had in Mind" or "this is not right" statements after completion of the job and time to get paid..

In reading your posts, the only logical procedure would be to remove and replace.. Or spot repair or tack and finish.
If you sanded the hand scraped smooth, most of the useful wear surface would be removed and the cost is equal to remove and replace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 am 
Worthy Contributor

Yes remove and replace would be optimal, and I also tell them that before they buy the handscrapped in the first place. Im not willing to actually sand one of those floors (okay maybe if the money was right) Just needed some more input on prices so when I go on a handscrapped estimate I can tell them how much it would be to actually install the floor the first time, and then give them the heads up on what costs they may incur if they grow tired of the floor, or want to sell etc. So I would give them an estimate on removal of the flooring, removal and replace with normal hardwood, and to sand it if the case may be. I tend to go a little too in depth in the estimates. But when my jobs are 100% refferals I have to think that me showing them all possible costs (that I can think of) has to benifit me

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:20 am 
Valued Contributor

Jay,
I respect your position and appreciate you for having the integrity and courage to inform the buyers of these issues.
It's only fair and the right thing to do.
I wonder how many consumers purchase hand scraped realizing the cost of maintenance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:29 am 
Worthy Contributor

I would much rather tell them what they are getting into prior to doing the work, even if it means them deciding on regular wood or even some other flooring (that I dont do IE tile etc.) I would rather lose the sale, then a few years from now wind up with a discruntled customer because I didnt inform them of the downsides to the flooring. Thats just negitive advertising IMO

And I dont think very many places inform them of the actual costs involved in maitiance. The place out by me that does actual hand scrapping/distressing by hand @ 44 per foot, doesnt inform them...But then again the people who pay for that riping it out and replacing is like a days pay LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:32 pm 

I'd be total replacement as well. But I think the cost to replace will be more than refinishing, even if one charged triple. Just the cost to demo and disposal could cost three a foot, now add for new flooring and sanding and finishing. But of course, they could opt for an inexpensive factory finished floor instead, which would keep the new floor cost down. It's a delicate balance and a fine line to walk when discussing the pros and cons of any product with the customer. If the salesperson, or contractor, focuses too much on the negatives, you'll just talk the potential customer out of a sale. And is that why your there? IMO, I try to determine what the customer's needs are, what is their lifestyle, their budget, etc. We talk and I get an idea of what they're looking for and what they're considering. I will make recommendations and discuss pros and cons of all the products proposed. Sometimes, for the customer, it's information overload and they freeze up, not knowing what to do. That's where walking them through the purchase and sale by listening to their needs is important.