Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem with coating peeling.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:24 pm 
New User

Hello!

I come with questions and am looking for guidance.

I installed brand new engineered hardwood flooring to find out that it came with practically non-existent protective coating from the factory.

I called City Floor Supply in Newark DE and they recommended the Basic Coatings Streetshoe NXT super matte finish.

I prepped the brand new floor by vacuuming, microfibering, cleaning it with squeaky floor cleaner as they suggested. Then I applied Basic Coatings Tykote product which is their no sanding adhesion product as per the manufacturer.

Then I applied the Streetshoe with a roller within the necessary timeframe after applying the Tykote as per the manufacturer. I followed this process and applied 3 coats of the Streetshoe within the prescribed timeframes.

After a few months, when the floor was struck with an object, the finish would peel up like a sunburn.

I spoke to a Bona rep about moving forward with Bona Traffic HD. I have begun screening off the Streetshoe with a 60 Grit screen and square buff machine.

It is nearly impossible to get all of the previous Streetshoe off. Where would you go from here in preparing to re-coat? What special considerations would you make?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, experience, and wisdom!

Also I don’t know how to attach photos of the floor but can if explained how to do it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Problem with coating peeling.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:57 am 
Prized Contributor

An adhesion problem requires sanding back to bare wood for success. A drum sander or belt sander would be the best way to remove all the finish.

Profile E-mail