Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem with "ridge" in flooring after installatio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:45 am 
New User

We are midway through an installation of solid 3/4" 3 1/4" wide red oak - prefinished over 3/4" ply / 16 over 16" OC joists - first floor, basement.

I had done a lot of the subfloor prep myself - to save costs with the installer - the installer was doing "final checks" before putting the flooring down -

Unfortunately, it looks like we both missed "Something" in one spot - perhaps it was a high seam, a nail not hammered down? whatever it is - the installer installed right over it and it is pushing up inbetween two boards producting a ridge ("^") which is pretty noticeable between two boards running the length about 2 feet.

My question is - since he's already isntalled this section - can anything be done about it now??? Can we remove the boards, sand down whatever is pushing up and replace? Can it be fixed from below somehow?? or do we need to live with it?

The installer says he will try to screwing down the boards (trim screws) to minimize the bump and says that nothing can be done beyond that. I don't see how it can be minimized without removing the protruding material - and I just don't know if i can live with such a bump in the middle of the floor - any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:56 am 
Worthy Contributor

The board can be cut out to allow access to the sub floor:

This has some good images on how it should be cut out.

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... -floor.htm

After that you clean up the edges of the boards and cut the bottoms off of the groves in a new board. If you are floating use the above instructions. If it was glue down then put some PL 400 on the back of the board and insert it and if it was nail use either PL-400 or face nail the board.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:27 am 
New User

Thanks for the reply - so removing the boards is the only way -i suppose if he refuses to replace the boards we will have to hire someone else - this has become a sensitive subject with him and I don't knwo why. I don' mind paying someone to fix it - i just want it fixed at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:00 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Quote:
this has become a sensitive subject

He is the floor contractor and in the end it is his responsibility to provide you with an acceptable floor. Do not let him push you around, you are the client. If you are willing to pay him then hey that is great, but he should do the work to your satisfaction. If it is over and above the norm and you are willing to pay then there should be no problem. If it his fault then he should not be charging you. In the end, he is the floor contractor if he missed something then it is on him. If a client of mine wants to do some work to save some money, I always double check their work. If it is bad I let them know and either I fix it or they can go at it again. After that if I miss it, I repair it on my dime.

I try to not bad mouth installers or arm chair coach a job, as I do not know the circumstances sitting on this side of the computer and please do not take this in that fashion and this is just a possible scenario, but it may be that he does not know how to do the repair and is therefore trying to avoid the situation by getting agitated. If that is the case then by all means get someone to repair it, but brining in someone new to repair it will be expensive as they are going to charge enough to make up for the time involved in travel, etc. Small repairs can run from $150 to $300 depending on the method in which the floor was installed. If it was glue down expect it to be on the higher side.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:16 am 
Valued Contributor

I agree with the posts given. Replace the affected planks and the problem is solved.
But you describe "tenting" as a problem which may be a nailing problem as well.
If this is an isolated area, and not throughout........ remove the planks and fix it as I understand you are still in the midst of the installation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:09 pm 
New User

Thanks for the info. I'd really like to have it fixed however by someone other than our installer as I am not really confortable trusting his repairs - his install was generally ok, but he doesn't seem as concerned about flat floors as I wish he was)

I'm actually considering having an entire section of floor torn up, getting the subfloor flattened, and reinstalling (may have to order a couple more boxes - its about a 25 sq ft area that has the ridge and a couple nagging dips)

Anyway - if I want to find someone else to do the repairs, anyone know where I can find someone that knows their stuff in eastern PA????

Sometimes I really wish people like Gary lived up north here! I'd hire him in a second!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:06 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I'm sure there are quality installers near you. You just have to hunt them down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:36 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Gary wrote:
I'm sure there are quality installers near you. You just have to hunt them down.

Unless you’re in Chicago. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

Now that was funny!

Ya, Chicago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:27 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yea, I forgot about Chi Town. Good one KLS. :lol: