Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems with Glue Down Engineered Floor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:21 pm 
New User

Hello, I had glued down engineered floor installed on a concrete slab late last spring. Unfortunately I was not living in the apartment until the fall so I was not home to run the AC and I suspect the humidity got very high on some days. When I moved in this fall the floor looked absolutely flawless but has since developed some issues.

First, the floor is gapping in some spots. I understand seasonal gapping is normal but in my case the gaps look rough and jagged and the edges have deformed.

Second, a few of the boards appear to be face checking.

Finally, a few corners of the boards are catching slightly, and it looks like they could be delaminating.

I want to emphasize that standing up and walking around, the floors generally look very good. But I am paranoid that this is the beginning of more serious problems. My installer told me he would come in the spring and try to address any issues after heating season.

Photo album is at this link. https://m.imgur.com/a/Ok3Xdpr
The first photo is an example of an edge that is catching/delaminating. The second is a standing view of a gapping and checking
board. The third is a zoom in on the second photo. The fourth is a standing view of another gap. The fifth is a zoom in photo showing the rough edges. I provided standing photos so as not to overemphasize the severity.

Should I be worried? Is it reasonable to wait until spring to see what happens? Can this be fixed without ripping up the entire floor?

Thank you

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Problems with Glue Down Engineered Floor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Looks and sounds by your description typical winter shrinkage with very low humidity conditions in your apartment. You'll need to get the humidity up.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:19 am 
New User

Thanks for the response. Yes, the apartment humidity was ranging from 20-25%. I recently bought a portable humidifier that has helped keep the humidity closer to 30%. Hopefully that helps. I also noticed that the areas with the more significant gapping sound hollow when I knock on them. Is that normal?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 pm 
Prized Contributor

Sorry for my late reply. It looks as though the floor is finished on site. That jaggedness looks like it is filler - used to fill gaps before sanding and finishing. Very common issue with low humidity.
On the corner issue if the top veneer is releasing from the bottom plies that is a manufacturing defect and the mill should pay to replace.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail