Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Product choice and pricing - please help a newby out
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:38 pm 
New User

Hi everyone.

Ok, so despite my research I am still feeling rather clueless regarding the entire refinishing process. I have found differing opinions on the quality of certain products, and just need some guidance please.

Our floors are about 50 years old, and have been covered the entire time. There will be a newborn as well as an individual with resp. problems living in the house. Basically, I am looking for the lowest VOC that is also durable. Can anyone give me their first hand experience with Eon 70, AFM Safecoat, and ProCoat Purethane? One person I am working with is particularly fond of Purethane. Any other eco friendly/ low VOC that you can suggest?

Additionally, in terms of dust containment, I have read a lot about the Atomic DCS for sanding, but others I have read about are Oneida, Ruwac, ProSand. In your experience, what is the best? I realize its often up to the capabilities of the person doing the job, but would still like to hear your thoughts. This job will be done by a pro, and I just want to be as informed as possible.

Thanks in advance!

E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:59 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Sorry no one has replied. I've never used any of the products on your list but most every product is 100% safe once it finally dries and cures.

I feel the same way about dust. Be sure the pro you hire is very courteous with his dust bag emtying to do it outside and that there is extra time taken to vaccuum sills and vents etc. But sanding floors will create dust even if not seen. You will need to be sure to change your HVAC filters frequently for the first 2 months and simply do a thorough cleaning at the end of the project. You may even hire a professional cleaner (Molly Maids etc.) But rest assured. Within a week or two of the project completion your VOC and dust concerns will be history.

Hope this helped,
Will

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail