Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Proper prep of lightweight concrete before glue down
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:47 pm 
New User

What is the proper prep before glueing down bamboo on lightweight concrete? Does it need to be coated with something, also the leveling of the floor. My contracter never leveled the floor and I have waves in the floor. I bought extra glue, as that is how he was going to "level" it. I'm finding the floor should have been sanded or ground down for the high spots and filled with something for the low spots. Please tell me what is the proper thing to do. Thanks.
Dianna

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:21 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is not recommended to gluedown wood on "lightweight" Gypcrete.

If you can scratch the surface with a nail, it is not going to hold a bond for very long.

Bought extra clue?? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:10 am 
Worthy Contributor

[quote="Floorguy"]It is not recommended to gluedown wood on "lightweight" Gypcrete.

If you can scratch the surface with a nail, it is not going to hold a bond for very long.quote]

Floorguy, is there ever a recommended procedure for gluing to gypcrete? Such as with the combined use of any sealer etc.?

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Proper prep of lightweight concrete before glue down
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:12 am 
Worthy Contributor

diannalund wrote:
What is the proper prep before glueing down bamboo on lightweight concrete? Does it need to be coated with something, also the leveling of the floor. My contracter never leveled the floor and I have waves in the floor. I bought extra glue, as that is how he was going to "level" it. I'm finding the floor should have been sanded or ground down for the high spots and filled with something for the low spots. Please tell me what is the proper thing to do. Thanks.
Dianna

Is this over radiant heat?

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:20 am 
New User

The heat is hot water baseboard.

To floor guy- What should I do? The contracter seems perplexed as to why I am getting the popping noises, etc... It is also pulling away from the baseboard. He knows it was gypcrete. Are you saying that leveling the floor would not have helped? Please explain. Thanks.
Dianna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:26 pm 
Prized Contributor

The only product that says it will encapsulate the gypcrete to accept gluedown flooring of any kind, is ARDEX's GS-4. You have to follow the specifications to the letter to make it work.

A floating floor was your only option, IMHO. Your contractor sold you what you wanted, not what works. He stole your money, because he as the professional, should know better, unless he got a signed waiver of liability, stating he explained to you gypcrete is not acceptable for gluedown, but you agree to go ahead and not hold him liable for the situation your in now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:00 am 
Worthy Contributor

I had a thought. Did the contractor properly acclimate the floor?

Did he leave a proper expansion gap around the perimeter?

I'm surprised nobody asked you these basic questions originally.

If the floor (bamboo is NO exception) did not acclimate properly (7 - 14 days and take moisture readings) and if it has swelled only a little and then has no expansion gap, the floor could be trying push itself up.

With the sub-floor being gypcrete:

the adhesive spread rate may not have been thorough enough ('course he did use a TON of glue)

OR improperly troweled (i.e. wrong kind of notch) and is coming off of the sub floor.

OR it may have been like what the Chemrex tech guy explained about penetrating adhesives, that so much has gone into the gypcrete not leaving enough for the flooring product (first time I'd ever heard of it too).

OR the floor is coming up like I described and it's busting up and taking the gypcrete with it (does it sound crunchy underneath?)

OR (anyone ever hear of this) the bamboo itself has a problem with the glue ... perhaps the back of the boards were sealed with something that wont accept the adhesive or possibly the product is delaminating.

OR gypcrete is a bit sandy ... he may not have vaccuumed at all????

Maybe you can find some previous customers of his and see if he has ever been a "hack" elsewhere. Perhaps be a P.I.T.A. to him and come to some sort of an understanding ... at least get him to refund some cash.

Was his warrantee in writing? Do you have a contract? Warrantees should be in your favor and extend past his so-called deadline if he willfully installed over a fixed sub-floor that he suspected might fail. Many articles in Hardwood Floors Magazine over the years have stated that judges have typically sided with customers when a contractor makes a decision contrary to what is enforcable to manufacturer recommendations regardless of the contractor's written warrantee limitations.

Besides, I don't like the fact that he has a 6 month warrantee. That doesn't give you a chance to see how his product stands up to ALL FOUR seasons at your location.

Profile E-mail