Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pros & Cons of Cork Floors?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:43 pm 
New User

Looking for some comparisons of the pros vs the cons of cork flooring.

Thank you,

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Pros & Cons of Cork Floors?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:17 pm 
New User

From my own single experience (entryway an kitchen):
- a little "softer" than say tile, so maybe easier on the feet and things don't break as easily when dropped. Not to say that it's soft, just softer

- many of the patterns really hide imperfections well due to mishaps, like a stool that I was using that had worn through the rubber caps on the legs. It put a lot of minor gouges in (before I realized what had happened), but they aren't really noticeable

- there is a large variety of patterns/colors to choose from

Anyway, I really like it. I'm not interested in having it in the living room, but I think it's a great floor for the kitchen. I remember that I was very skeptical about using this stuff, but I finally did and I'm happy about it. I don't have anything bad to say about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 am 
Worthy Contributor

I would agree w/ above comments and yes, I think cork can work great for kitchen.

Other pros:
1. Warmer on your feet - both a bit of insulation and conducts heat away less than tile.
2. Quieter - absorbs sound
3. Green/good for environment.

Cons would include:
1. Colors are a bit limited and often don't work well if your cabinets are/will be wood tones, esp in mid tone range. Cork will often work great with white cabinets and sometimes w/ very dark cabinets.

2. It's a floating floor...so your floor needs to be even (or close) otherwise the floor will move and/or could come "undone" and/or you may spend a lot in floor prep to even out the floor.

Here's some more info on Cork:
http://theflooringgirl.com/green-floori ... green.html
http://westchester.floorcoveringsintern ... mford.aspx

Debbie Gartner, aka The Flooring Girl
Westchester County, NY

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:31 pm 
Prized Contributor

Glue down cork tiles with a finish coat or two after install is relatively easy and bullet proof to floods. Especially if glued to concrete.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 pm 
New User

Pros:

Environmentally friendly: Cork is a renewable resource as it comes from the bark of cork oak trees, which can be harvested every 9-12 years without damaging the tree.
Comfortable and warm: Cork flooring is soft and has a natural warmth that can make it comfortable underfoot.
Good for sound insulation: Cork has natural sound-absorbing properties, making it a good choice for noise reduction in a room.
Durable and low-maintenance: Cork flooring is known for its durability and requires minimal maintenance. It is naturally resistant to water, mold, and mildew.
Available in a variety of styles and colors: Cork flooring is available in a range of colors and styles, from natural cork to dyed or stained cork.

Cons:

Susceptible to scratches and dents: Cork is a relatively soft material and can be easily scratched or dented by sharp or heavy objects.
Requires sealing: Cork flooring must be sealed to protect it from moisture and stains, and the sealing process must be repeated periodically.
Fading: Over time, cork flooring may fade due to exposure to sunlight and other environmental factors.
Vulnerable to water damage: While cork is naturally resistant to water, it is still vulnerable to water damage if spills are not wiped up immediately.
Can be more expensive than other flooring options: Cork flooring can be more expensive than other types of flooring, such as vinyl or laminate.

Overall, cork flooring can be a good choice for those looking for a durable, low-maintenance, and environmentally-friendly option. However, it may not be the best choice for those with high-traffic areas or pets that could scratch or dent the flooring. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and consider your specific needs and preferences when deciding whether cork flooring is right for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:12 pm 
Prized Contributor

I don't know about being vulnerable to spills. Most cork floors have a urethane finish which resists water spills.
Even some click manufacturers seal the locking edge to prevent the core from swelling by water intrusion into the seam.
A few click manufacturers even recommend two coats of a roll on finish like Loba 2K Supra Satin which I did on this glue down cork floor I did. It seals up the seams really good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail