Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Provenza ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:42 pm 
Prized Contributor

I agree with Gary too. But I'm pretty much s.o.l. :x .

When a manufacturer does something like this to an installer, ( Granted I'm sure it wasnt on purpose, and mistakes happen ). But by the time the replacement material comes in, it's in the home, it acclimates.. It's just not feasable in this situation. This is a high end designer that was referred to me. Her client is influential in Las Vegas. She is living in a hotel, with her dog, her furniture is in storage. I'm the last trade in this remodel. And as usual everyone has dragged their feet, and all the timeline pressure is on me. Ill stop there, I can go on with these particular circumstances.

Not to mention Bostik's specs of open time for MVP, on the floor, before you install wood ( 2 weeks ).

I havent brought up the problem to the designer or client. Why make them crazy. I know their situation. What I have installed looks beautiful, they love it. When the job is over I'll be a hero in my eyes and the designer. The designer is somewhat knowledgable about hardwood and installation. After this install I am doing some gratis repair work in her home ( her wood was butchered ) I will then show her what I went through with the Provenza, and what kind of feedback I get from Provenza. ( When I talk to them tomorrow ) .

This Provenza is a beautiful product, ( ProSource sells it for 12.49 ). Stuff happens, but I'll get to the bottom of it , and it wont happen to me again.

Im ready for a week from hell. But when I'm done it will be beautiful, and they'll love me.

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:45 pm 
Worthy Contributor

If you work out a deal from the company, get it in writing, Ive been burned by a gentlemen's agreement with the same problem. I ended up running it through the table saw and trimming the top of the groove ever so slightly.

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Gary?? C'mon man I am vying for prized contributer here! :cry:

Also try this avenue, they don't want to taker it back and ship more so think of a number they can swallow and try and be fair. Most of them will pay you extra to do what you can do with it but you have to make sure you can do it right.

Absolutely !!!

And think of all the wasted time , and run around , before you get material.
And the damage done to me with the designer, ( not because it's my fault, but the job wont go smooth ) I look at this as an oportunity to shine with the designer.

The bottom line is.... I know I can get this floor in. ( I completed 200 feet ). And I know the problem wont affect the finished product.

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

walkonus wrote:
If you work out a deal from the company, get it in writing, Ive been burned by a gentlemen's agreement with the same problem. I ended up running it through the table saw and trimming the top of the groove ever so slightly.

Keith

Im o.k with it just not happening to me again.

Luckily this wood is 9/16 , and tough edges. I am able to just whale on it ( with my custom tapping block ) . I may have all black and blue finger naills when it's said and done ( 1 down 9 to go ).

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 am 
Prized Contributor

I though you were nailing it down when I suggested the Powerjack.... sorry. At the very least you should notify ProSource asap in writing about this problem. My ProSource would be getting me some extra money for having to deal with it. Plus all that whaling could be causing some unforeseen stress that might rear hits ugly head somewhere down the road. Cover yourself partner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:47 am 
Prized Contributor

If scraping the top of the tongue works, and it should; hire a grunt for a couple days to pre-scrape for you and try to recover this cost from the manufacturer. They should grab it as being the least costly method of dealing with the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:39 pm 
Prized Contributor

One day it's too tight, next one is too sloppy (like my HD bamboo click today), ahh the life of a hardwood guy.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

I called Provenza this morning, and left a message on their recording :roll: Come 3:00 no call back .

I called ProSource and they gave me the cell number of the "expert" at the Distributor ( Tri-West ). Great, knowledgable guy. He told me there's 2 options. I can call the rep , and he will exchange the wood for the balance that I still have to install. Or #2 , I can file a claim through ProSource and they'll reimburse me for the "reasonable" amount of extra time it takes me to install the job. The claim would also have to go through the designer that purchased from ProSource.

I really dont have the time to exchange material. And I really dont want to cause a whole cluster filing a claim through this designer.

I did ask the expert if the whaling to get it together is a problem. He said " No, as long as your not damaging the edges". I have made sure ProSource is also aware of the situation, and conversation. The expert also mentioned that their products are not a sprayed finish, but a "curtain finish" , that runs down flaps, ( kinda like they have at the carwash ).

Meanwhile I'm just a whalen and a cussin ( under my breath ofcoarse ) :lol: But the finished product looks beautiful.

So if you guys run accross Provenza. Slide a few boards out of the box, when it's ready to start acclimating.

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 pm 
Prized Contributor

Thats a tough situation. However...I feel it is your duty to let everyone know whats happening even though you don't want to make waves so to speak. I can see your point though being this is a new client and you don't want them to think yer a whiner. But if anything should go wrong then it is off your shoulders.

Let the specifiers worry about it. They specified it and certainly have more pull with the manufacture than some installer guy does. Show them whats wrong with the product.

I hate to say it but your doing what every manufactuer is hoping an installer would do, take it upon themselves to correct the situation themselves and bend over.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Thats a tough situation. However...I feel it is your duty to let everyone know whats happening even though you don't want to make waves so to speak. I can see your point though being this is a new client and you don't want them to think yer a whiner. But if anything should go wrong then it is off your shoulders.

Let the specifiers worry about it. They specified it and certainly have more pull with the manufacture than some installer guy does. Show them whats wrong with the product.

I hate to say it but your doing what every manufactuer is hoping an installer would do, take it upon themselves to correct the situation themselves and bend over.

I have documented my conversation with the distributor "expert". ( Giving me the green light , "as long as I'm not damaging the edges". I have myself covered. I'm lucky that it's really tough to damage this stuff. This Proveza Antico is a 9/16 engineered high quality plank. I'm not doing any damage, the wood is Distressed Hickory , and put together like a darn petrified brick. The floor is solid, sound, and beautiful.

Your right though , it does bug the crap out of me to let the manufacturer get away with what I'm going through.

I hope I dont bore you, but let me tell you my situation.
I was #1 on Lumber Liquidator's "List" for the last 7 years. I was loyal and went above and beyond. That was the only work I did. I dealt with their products. I am good at making , well let's just say apples into oranges. I always just did whatever it took. to make their products beautiful.( So dealing with this little finish on the tongue glich is a cake walk). Anyway, with LL's new executives deciding to go with Hss nationally, pretty much threw me under the bus. They wanted me to sign the contracts, but let's get real. So here I am trying to build a repour with ProSource. Their happy with me, and refering top designers. I do have a nice referral base from prior LL customers. But not quite enough to keep me going. I'm used to being real busy ( 6-8 weeks out ). So to make a long story longer.... In the grand scheme of things , I feel I need to bite the bullet this time. I cant take the chance of any negatives.

I know, what's right is right, and if I was in a different situation I would go after those suckers. I have covered myself, and the floor will last a long time. But I have to think of my family & keep smiling . I moved to Las Vegas 7 years ago, ( after installing in So. Cal. for 31 years ), this is a darn tough place to keep busy. Especially with what LL did, during tough times. Right now I'm thankful :D

Sometimes you gotta believe in karma.

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:44 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Thanks for sharing Howard. What I find amazing is you have been installing for 38 yrs. :shock:
If you started at age 20, that would make you my age now. I've been at it for nearly 30 yrs. and I can tell you, it has affected my bod. Everything hurts most times. But we gotta do what we gotta do I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

Gary wrote:
Thanks for sharing Howard. What I find amazing is you have been installing for 38 yrs. :shock:
If you started at age 20, that would make you my age now. I've been at it for nearly 30 yrs. and I can tell you, it has affected my bod. Everything hurts most times. But we gotta do what we gotta do I guess.

Us "Old Timers' gotta stick together :lol:

My father was an installer for 56 years ! Ofcoarse He's retired know. But He still thinks he can install circles around me, if he wanted :lol:
He was dragging me out of the house when I was 12 ( I used to crawl through the bedroom window to avoid Him ).
I was installing my first jobs at 16, on weekends. And full time at 18, right out of High School. So you got me beat by a few years :D

I actually feel pretty darn good. But dont ask me about that in the mornings :roll:
Most guys our age have a bunch of stress, and pot bellies, but people sware I dont look a day over 35. I guess it's been good to me. But I must admit at times I find it pretty tough to get motivated , and syked up.

Kind of morbit... But doing an install for the right person.... They may ask me, How long do you think your going to do this for? I say, I'll probably fall over while installing a Hardwood Floor. Usually gets a good chuckle. But a pretty warped thing to say. I actually had a guy say ' as long as you finish my job first :lol:

But all kidding aside. I love what I do . And I pride myself on keeping up on my knowledge , and my install techniques on the cutting edge. ( Like whaling on planks :roll: )

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 am 
Prized Contributor

Its funny how hardwood gets in your blood. My father too was an installer for his whole life, and I installed my first floor for profit when I was 11. I worked with my dad at first, only being allowed to do closets until I could successfully lay them with no "smiles" on the edge of the boards from hand nailing. This was back in the days when most floors up here were 3/8th strip floor (T & G) and you couldn't take the time to hand set each nail. (no nailers back then) When my dad and I were working together in the same house, it sounded like machinegun fire. Three hits per nail, one to start it, one to drive it and one to set it, all the while turning the next nail in your hand for it to be ready. Im sixty now (today actually) and repaired an old floor for a friend on the weekend. He had removed a couple of walls to increase the size of a bedroom, without thinking about the consequences.
Mostly I am an office flunky now, but still like to be "hands-on" once in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:00 pm 
Prized Contributor

Happy Birthday Dennis ! :D

It's great to hear about that kind of stuff , " Back in the Day "

I know what you mean about Hardwood being in your blood. My problem is I still havent learned how to pace myself on installations. I still install like an animal. We'll see when I start really feeling it. That worries me.

Little tip you "old timers" still installing. I take this stuff called RenewIn. I swear by it . It's for joint care and comfort ( Wallmart or Wallgreens ). Stuffs amaizing. You younger guys should check it out too. Only cost 20 bucks a month to take, and what a difference.

Howard

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:18 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Renewin heh? Sounds like that's for me! :lol: