Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Purple heart floor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:55 am 
New User

Hi guys new member
I am building in Panama and am installing a wood floor in a new house.
Wood species is teak, purple heart and a couple of other types of wood native to Panama.
I have been looking at sealers and there are so many, at first I as thinking oil but after reading it seems the water based will hold color better unless it bleeds the purple. I have to order whichever product from the states and apply here. I have installed some floors but never in the tropics and the contractors here just use a varnish which I do not like it cracks and peels.
I could use a lot of suggestions from you pros. Please

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Purple heart floor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I'm surprised nobody responded to this. I will reply for anyone searching the boards for a similar answer.

I would have used a water based sealer on those woods. My experience with teak and Ipe have shown that oil based finishes are nothing but trouble on these oily woods. Bona seal is a great sealer to work with, but gums up screens when buffing. Splashdown by ProCoat works well, it's as easy to apply, but will buff without gumming up screens and sandpaper the next day. IMHO, sealer should be applied, and then allowed a couple of days to dry if you want to be able to buff it with a screen without as much gumming up.

I did a job with paduuk and used 2 coats of an alcohol based sealer and we still had drying problems between coats of oil based polyurethane as well as white line syndrome on every seam of the floor years later. ( white line syndrome is where adhesion fails on the edge of each board causing a white edge where it has lifted off the board. )

Profile E-mail