Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question Regarding Rolling on Polyurethane
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:04 am 
Newbie Contributor

I just had 1400 sq ft of red oak professionally sanded - they did a great job! I will now be staining and applying Fabulon OMU. One question regarding rolling - I've been told to use the Pudy White Dove, 3/8 inch nap rollers, and simply dip them into the 5 gallon pail of OMU. My question is this - do I completely submerge the roller and them apply the urethane, do I only dip half the roller into the pail, or do I dip then roll off excess in a tray, like you would do with paint? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:13 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Anytime I have ever rolled finish I use one of the screens that hang inside the 5 gallon bucket to get rid of excess. If I'm using gallon buckets I use a regular paint tray that is 11" wide so you can put a little more in it rolling out of a paint tray you are constantly filling it up but it works good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: What type of screen do I use?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 am 
Newbie Contributor

Is there a particular screen mesh size that works best? Where can I buy the screen? I assume I just hang it over the edge of the bucket, correct? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm new to this application method.

Post subject: One Additional Question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:00 am 
Newbie Contributor

When applying OMU with a roller, should I use the usual W-pattern technique as is done for painting, or is there some other technique? For the final satin coat should all final rolling be in the same direction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:02 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

You can buy the screen at any hardware store they are all pretty standard. i have always rolled with grain just make sure you don't get a dry edge or missed spots.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:01 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I like using the roller but I had one problem, excess finish would get between the end of the roller and plastic end stop and drip. Are there better rollers out there that are non-drip. I used the 5 gall. bucket and
strainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:30 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have switched from lambs wool to paint rollers and i just love the rollers.

I have found no need for a strainer or tray. Obviously use your judgement on approx how much poly you need to apply in a certain area but when doing average size areas, full submerge the roller and press the roller a foot and a half or so from area you want to apply the poly. This gets the bulk of the excess off, then roll the area between the foot and a half puddle you made and the stroke you last ended with. At the point run your roller through the excess puddle and continue spreading. It works great and its fast.

As far as the drips are concered, if you have trouble controlling the drip from the arm to the roller, use a 1/4" nap roller. I like the 3/8" better though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:53 am 
Newbie Contributor

all methods are fine.. try each one and you'll know which one you feel comfortable with. Some just pour the poly on the floor and then roll it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:19 am 
Prized Contributor

Some use the roller, just like a T-bar. They pour out there line and keep a wet edge.