Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question with ZAR Ultra Poly
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:07 pm 
New User

I am currently wrapping up a project to restore hardwood flooring from a once carpeted floor. I sanded with a USand and 24,40,80 grit. and then handsanded with drywall pole with 120. No stain or sealant. I applied first and third coat with a brush but middle coat was 3/16 roller, and used pole sander with 220 screen in between coats. The poly I am using is ZAR Ultra Poly with satin finish, here is the pic:

You see in the image the line where part of the floor looks wet and part does not?

The left coat was applied on Monday of last week, so it's been 5 days but has looked as it does now since Tuesday really. The right coat I put down Tuesday night. Now, the weather changed on Wednesday so it went from being dry, breezy and cool on Monday and tuesday to rain (on Wednesday) and humid and hot ever since. So I am supposing this is the cause? I closed windows and moved dehumidifier in there for a day or two but this did not accomplish anything.

I am planning on waiting longer and hoping eventually they will look the same? I'm just surprised I see no difference or improvement day after day with the right side. The other difference is that I did switch to new can of poly, but they are exactly the same brand and type. Should I just wait longer? Or my other thought was to just apply one more coat but do it all at once, but I feel like that shouldn't matter. Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Question with ZAR Ultra Poly
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:59 am 
Worthy Contributor

every can of poly is entirely different than another can, even from same manufactuer/brand ect. coating half one day and half another day always has the possibilty of looking different even if you mix all the poly together coat half let dry then coat other half.

looks like the spot you are talking about is a bit heavy, proboally from overlapping coats.

sand entire floor with the 220, may have to get pretty aggressive on thqat section in the middle to get it flat/smooth/get the extra color out.

Mix enough poly to coat the enire space, coat it all at once

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:00 pm 
New User

sounds good, I will sand and apply coat one more coat all at once. Thank you for the advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 am 
New User

So did applying one more coat solved your problem? Is the flooring fine now. If you need some help you can refer http://www.jenniferbuyshouses.com.

Profile E-mail