Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questioning my choice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:15 am 
New User

In October I had my floors professionally sanded and then I applied the finish. I did my research and went with Basic Coatings StreetShoe 275. The main deciding factor was the time it took to cure and the fact that I don't like the yellowing that oil finishes have. I also needed a low VOC because I couldn't keep the windows open very long.

I follow the instructions and watched a number of videos. I laid down two coats with a roller, this was on top of two coats of the sealer which were applied with a medium weight T-bar. The finish looks perfect, I am happy with how it came out. But here comes the problem. I have two young dogs that are still in their play stages. One of them lets me trim their nails, the other does not. So I am forced to trim a few nails while he sleeps but I can never get them down to the desired length.

I have noticed that they don't scratch through the finish, but they do dent the wood. I know that no amount of finish is going to really protect the wood from denting, but I don't remember them being able to easily dent the old oil finish. I am worried that I didn't put the StreetShoe down thick enough. I can feel the grain pattern, but it is my understanding that is to be expected with water based finishes. Should these dents be ocuring and did I do with the wrong type of finish for my situation?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Questioning my choice
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

its compression... no finish protects against it..if its the wood fiber, or if its the coating, its too thick ..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 pm 
Prized Contributor

I would get a script from the vet to enable you to trim the nails to the desired length. You better get them used to it now or else. Like me and my 115 lb Ridgebacks I have to drug. Plus it still takes three people to hold them down. They have bear claws, not toenails. Just a mild sedative works.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:22 pm 
Newbie Contributor

YUP thats what happens I have two dogs and have been doing hardwood flooring for over 24 years and I tell all my clients trim the nails to limit the scratch marks . wentzwood arizona

Profile E-mail