Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Questions for Flooring Stores / Retailers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:28 pm 
Prized Contributor

IMO it has to do with uniformity within the plys thickness, top to bottom rather than the profile height. This may not be any others opinions other than mine. For instance multiple thin plys with a thick wear layer on top is not my idea of balanced.

Theres some excellent small mills that have figured it out. Even Anderson has one now, well at least one that I have seen lately that is new..

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 am 
Prized Contributor

Well, my favorite construction for engineered is the stuff that Vintage makes, and now Superior is setting up a line as well as others. Product is 3/4 inch thick, three ply construction consisting of top third (1/4 inch) and bottom third are same wood, centre portion are narrow fillets laid across the piece, with very small gaps between each fillet. There are some variations on this theme, such as thinner top and bottom components, but this is as close to being inert in the average household as I have ever seen.
This product started out as a means of making wide plank flooring that would be stable, but now it is being made in 2 1/4 and 3 1/4 widths as well. I imagine that this format will replace solid 3/4 inch eventually, since it is a more cost effective method of material usage. The manufacturing costs out-weigh this somewhat but is certainly worth the small difference.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:49 pm 
Prized Contributor

Agree with Dennis, but personally like the wide plank and no fillets. Looks like this...but this one is 3/16 on top and bottom, all plys are same species. Sawn face is on bottom of pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13772863@N08/5054954045/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:28 am 
Prized Contributor

Ya Stephen, thats the kind of construction I am talking about. The Vintage line is fully warranted against ANY movement from 15%-70% RH. Ideal for us guys up here in Ontario.
It can be nailed, T&G glue floated, or glued down (bit of a beach with the 7 inch or wider boards, but can be done.) They do require heat sensors on a radiant heat install, to ensure that the end user conforms to the maximum heat requirements to maintain warrantee conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 am 
Site Admin

That's the ticket Dennis. I've heard you mention the product before but wow, their site makes it sound impressive. Large amount of variety and colors.

Looks like they don't call their products engineered, rather "solid sawn structured" Love to see the stuff but it looks like it isn't marketed in the SE USA..or it doesn't come up with dealers in Atlanta, Miami, or Orlando.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 am 
Prized Contributor

Well I can courier you down some samples. Even ship you the product on an order to order basis if you wish to promote it down there. It would be an ideal solution to the climate and constuction methods used in your area.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm 
New User

The product looks pretty solid. What properties of this kind of core (1 veneer, and 2 ply core) make it superior to the traditional multi-ply engineered core? Does it have greater density?

I will be flying down to Atlanta tomorrow to meet with my business partner and check out some stores over there. If anyone has references of some good flooring stores out there, I would like to visit them.

Ali

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:27 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ken Fisher wrote:
That's the ticket Dennis. I've heard you mention the product before but wow, their site makes it sound impressive. Large amount of variety and colors.

Looks like they don't call their products engineered, rather "solid sawn structured" Love to see the stuff but it looks like it isn't marketed in the SE USA..or it doesn't come up with dealers in Atlanta, Miami, or Orlando.

I like the new terminoloigy, the TEKA says theirs is solid sawn engineered. Structured sounds neater.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well I can courier you down some samples

Dennis:

I have no space and I'm not active in the installation or sales end of the business. It would be nice to have some local contacts but they always think I'm looking for a job when I tell them who I am. Hand a business card over (HardwoodInstaller.com) and the first thing I hear is..."we don't need any installers." I used to try to explain to people what I do, but gave up. Now I just keep it simple and get a dazed look anyway. "I'm in internet marketing." This goes back to flooring people don't do the web. And those guys at the NWFA class...geesh. Boone's business card looks like it was printed 40 years ago.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

Ken Fisher wrote:
Quote:
Well I can courier you down some samples

Dennis:

I have no space and I'm not active in the installation or sales end of the business. It would be nice to have some local contacts but they always think I'm looking for a job when I tell them who I am. Hand a business card over (HardwoodInstaller.com) and the first thing I hear is..."we don't need any installers." I used to try to explain to people what I do, but gave up. Now I just keep it simple and get a dazed look anyway. "I'm in internet marketing." This goes back to flooring people don't do the web. And those guys at the NWFA class...geesh. Boone's business card looks like it was printed 40 years ago.

Sure you need a new wood floor in that place doncha Ken? Now that you don't have to do it for money you can test your skills and do some awesome wood floor.

Your the flooring internet guru like steve simonson. Hey I know, why not start a e-tool store. Course discounts for the panelists. Maybe some inexpensive pin meters and such? Just about every DIY'er that comes through here needs a tool or pin meter. Heck if you don't do it I'll do it myself. lol I'll call it hardwoodfloortools.com

Profile E-mail