Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2 questions: matching floor and leaving laminate floor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:48 pm 
New User

I will be installing Bruce 3/4in floor in a room that buts up to a room that already has this type of hardwood floor. How to I match the new floor that will sit about 1/4 inch higher than the existing floor? The 12 year old house has laminate floor that is securely attached to plywood. Can I installed the wood over the laminate?Thanks for the help?

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: 2 questions: matching floor and leaving laminate floor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Royalmigrane wrote:
I will be installing Bruce 3/4in floor in a room that buts up to a room that already has this type of hardwood floor. How to I match the new floor that will sit about 1/4 inch higher than the existing floor? The 12 year old house has laminate floor that is securely attached to plywood. Can I installed the wood over the laminate?Thanks for the help?

Will the new flooring run parallel or perpendicular to the old floor? You can remove 1/4" from the underside of the new floor board so it will slip over and cover the edge of the old floor. Chamfer the edge of the new floor, that is over the old floor, with a 15 degree chamfer to create a small ramp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:10 pm 
New User

The floor is going to be parallel but I was going to place two pieces of flooring perpendicular to act as a transition piece since the edge of the old room flooring is all even.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:55 pm 
Valued Contributor

Royalmigrane wrote:
The floor is going to be parallel but I was going to place two pieces of flooring perpendicular to act as a transition piece since the edge of the old room flooring is all even.

Not sure I follow the perpendicular transition. See my first answer. Just run new flooring parallel . The first new board will have 1/4" removed from its underside so it will slide over and rest on the old floor board. Chamfer (15 degrees) the new floor board's top edge to create a ramp effect from the old to the new floor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

I think he means a header board JIMMIEM.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

Brain freeze. If it's 1/4" higher remove 1/2" from underside of new board....not 1/4". That will leave 1/4" overlay. A chamfer will leave it a little too thin so just ease the edge. You can also use a transition molding to cover the joint between the two levels (old and new) and can be chamfered on both edges. In this case the T molding would have 1/4" removed from the underside that is over the new flooring so that it would sit flat on both old and new boards.

Profile E-mail