Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions regarding wider planks...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:36 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I can't seem to make up my mind as for which type of floor to install (engineered or solid strip/plank) and more recently I'm leaning toward the solid strip/plank. I'm lconsidering installing 4" planks in my townhome because I prefer the "country" look they have been said to give. A couple questions concerning wider planks:

1) Do wider planks make an area look smaller?

2) Is there a greater chance of cupping w/ wider planks?

Thank you,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:26 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

1) Won't make your space look smaller! If you have carpet now, wood floors seem to make the space look larger.
2) The wider the board, the greater chace of cupping. To ensure you don't have this problem, check for moisture under your house, use a vapor barrier and acclimate the flooring. Consider getting v-groove floors; they look good on wider planks and hide floor movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

Very sound advice, Gary. It should also be added that the seasonal gaps that accompany wide stuff tend to add to the look in (what I consider) an eye pleasing way. That is my opinion,anyway. I have never been accused of being a good decorator. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Nat'l Wood Flooring Ass'n Recommends trowel glue in addition to nails on anything wider than 4". definitely follow previous comments also. If you live in a drier climate, floor will gap more than buckle. humid areas look for "humps" and buckles. You'd do well to select a stable species also. If a sand on site floor, give a few days between install and sand.
Good Luck!
William
Heritage Hardwood Floors
Coeur 'd Alene, ID

P.S. No paper needed if you decide to full trowel glue. I know that sounds obvious but you'd be suprised ....

P.P.S Hand scraped (even DIY hand scraped) looks great in wider planks if you're into that look. e-mail at jclivzinme@msn.com if you want advice on how to hand scrape planks yourself

Profile E-mail