Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions on Sealer coat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I am finishing 4 rooms, 2 oak and 2 maple. No staining, just seal and finish. I put down the bonaseal coat today, let it dry and ran a maroon pad over it.

There is one place that some kind of crud got in the sealer. Can I just scrape these dirt spots out with a razor blade before putting on the traffic? If so, do I need to put more sealer down, or just go with traffic?

In one of the bedrooms, maple wood, I went across the grain on my way out of the room. There is now a distinct line showing where I did this. The maroon pad did not remove it. How do I fix this? Resand and start over? Will another coat of sealer cover it up?

Thanks for all the help on this site, you guys/gals are great.

Keith

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Questions on Sealer coat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:22 pm 
Valued Contributor

For the crud in the finish, try hand sanding and scuffing with a 220 grit abrasive or start with 150 and move to 220. If you go down to bare wood, you will need to touch up the Bonaseal in that area by blending in more of it.

For the cross pattern marks, another coat wont blend them in. You have to hand sand them out. I would suggest buffing but Bonaeseal is horrible in that it totally melts to your buffer screen. I no longer use Bonaseal for that reason. I have great results with Bona's DTS sealer though.

Hopefully your cross marks don't cover too large of an area. But whatever you do, you have to get them out. And the hand sanding generates less heat so there will be less of the Bonaseal melting to your abrasive. Also, if you go through the sealer and into the wood, you'll always want to touch up the bare spots with more sealer otherwise the traffic that penetrates into the wood will create a different color

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 pm 
Newbie Contributor

That's why we hand brush bona seal or use the bona quick dry sealer.
Nothing but problems applicating bona seal!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Well it is done.... The marks were too long and there were several of them so I chose to sand it all off and recoat. It went very smoothly this time and I didn't feel the need to reach into the room and "fix" the bubble I saw. :) You guys are right....sanding off bonaseal is a total PIA!

Let it dry for a couple of hours and put the first coat of traffic on tonight....I must say, I think it looks awesome. 2 more coats tomorrow and I will have to post a few pics.

Profile E-mail