Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quick fixing installation with no expansion gap?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:23 am 
Newbie Contributor

I hired a terrible contractor to install floors in two bedrooms a few years ago, and am now having problems with his job (Posts about his job are in this forum if you search). Prior to hiring him, I personally installed the same material in a third bedroom, and have not had any issues in that room.

The room with the problem is about 15'x20' rectangular, with a small walk-in closet, about 3'x4'. The material was solid-stranded, click-lock bamboo, floated over a concrete slab.

The main problem is that the installer left zero expansion gap at all edges, and I'm unsure if the planks were properly acclimated. The boards are popping/tenting up and out in the center of the room.

I know the best way to fix this is to either go around the edges with an under cut saw, or to pull all the boards and rip/cut the ends to create the right gap. I tried once to cut around the edges with an oscillating saw, and one of these Dremel flush cut saws, but the boards were so hard, that it took forever to cut a few inches and made a huge mess, so I gave up.

Also, the other problem is that I now have tenants in the house, so going in and re-installing the entire floor in that room is probably not feasible. They are planning on leaving in several months, so I only need to buy some time until I can get in and fix it properly.

What I am wondering is if there is a short cut fix that I can do temporarily? If I had a handyman come in, rip a full row of boards all the way along the length of the room, then pop them back in, would that add enough of a gap?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Quick fixing installation with no expansion gap?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 am 
Prized Contributor

Yes, removing as many rows will help, depends on which way it is expanding the most. Maybe get in there with an oscillating tool and bust up the sheetrock then vac it out.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail