Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Quick newbie question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:33 pm 
New User

I have just a quick question. When reading instructions of installing floors and such, the subfloor preparation talks about joint spacing 19.2" on center joint construction or less. I'm just curious if someone could give me just a quick idea of the meaning of that. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:51 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

The instructions are refering to joist spacing, not joint. The joists are the lumber support members underneath your subfloor material. They can be solid lumber, typically 2x stock or engineered trusses. For 3/4" plywood subflooring, the maximum recommended joist spacing is 2' but that is not acceptable for wood floors hence the recommendation for 19.2". Personally, I feel 16" oc is much better. If your subfloors are OSB material, then 16" oc is the recommendation. You should run your floor direction at a right angle to the direction of the joists.

Post subject: Joint spacing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:22 pm 
New User

I'm glad you cleared that up. I always thought joint spacing was telling you how far to have your knees apart. It's gonna save me a heck of a lot of time not having to keep measuring that.

:lol:

BTW that was a great question. Don't hesitate to ask. I've been doing wood floors for over 30 years and I still learn things every day.

http://woodfloorist.com

Profile E-mail