Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Radio Wave Technology For Hardwood Floors
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:26 am 
Site Admin

It was part of a demonstration put on by John Namba at the NWFA. Looking at the title before hand I actually thought it was about moisture testing. I'm not good at this technical stuff like Stephen (Floormeintucson) is. It was pretty interesting in using what was originally used as a carpet seam sealer.

Used for starter and last boards on wood sub floors. No more top nailing. Anybody heard about it before?

I didn't get much video on it because my battery was about to run out. No backup

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Radio Wave Technology For Hardwood Floors
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:02 am 
Prized Contributor

Yes I know Jon Namba, he certified me once. The Koolglide irons been around for awhile and seems all the kinks are out of it. Used alot more these days than the traditional carpet seaming iron and better foor sensitive natural fibers.

So they made a utility tape and found it works well for starter rows. But I'm not sold on the possibility of it not letting the floor move with wood flooring adhesives and or fasteners. I guess you could always pull the starter rows. But its an expensive iron and tape so why use it when you can just shoot down a sacrificial row with a 16 ga nailer. But if Jon's selling it it must work. Also can be used for plank repair, even on floaters.

I bet Jon gets paid well by them. Jon also demonstrated the Titebond wood floor double faced tape which you can use for starter rows as well but it does not hold as well as the iron.
Jon also attended the Floor Inspectors Educational Guild class at VA tech when I was there. They are having another in Colorado this summer I believe. First one for wood science out west.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
But I'm not sold on the possibility of it not letting the floor move with wood flooring adhesives and or fasteners

Yep. I thought the same with Titebond.

I was the first to raise my hand on this issue. The response was something along the lines of having expansion and contraction properties. You could probably test that yourself SP. I have nothing against it, but he mentioned trying it out in the NWFA school. "It's tenacious" Has it been through a seasonal change on a real floor? Don't know.

Daniel Boone loves that epoxy repair for solid hardwoods. Saw that demo four years ago. Mentioned to him..."it becomes a solid fixed object, how's it going to expand with the floor?"

Something along the lines of.."if the RH isn't maintained, not my problem." Of course Daniel gets called out to homes that have strict climate control...McMansions. Not the real world really.

Both of those guys are great presenters, but...

Personally I'd stick with nailing too.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

I wouldn't buy the radio wave iron for installs or repairs. I did a floater engineered repair and used the Titebond T&G glue and tape just for extra measure yesterday. Thats alot cheaper than that iron and expensive tape.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail