Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I really need some advice!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:25 pm 
New User

Greetings;
I had 1,000 sf of 11/16" solid flooring installed 3 months ago. At the time of installation I pointed out 3 cracks to the installers, they said not to worry we will fix that. So I allowed them to continue on.
About a week later I started to get more and more cracks (end checking)
So today i have a total of 76 cracked boards in a 1000 sf installation.
I had the floor inspected by a flooring inspector. They deemed the problem as Manufacturers defect. They recommended replacing the cracked boards, instead of replacing the whole floor.
The cracks continue to increase in number and in size.
How many cracks does there need to before the floor is replaced?
Can someone give me some guidance as to what the "Industry Standard" is in a situation such as mine.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:36 pm 
Valued Contributor

End splits could be due to nailing too close to the ends...
But,
You need an inspector.
www.FloorREports.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Mr. Ray:

Could you please provide some detail for this person as far as "industry standards" Afterall, you are an inspector and they have already contacted one. Your knowledge is anticipated.

Dry climate a contributing cause?

Location?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:22 pm 
New User

Thanks for responding, not exactly what I had hoped for but maybe that's my fault. I live in vancouver B.C. Canada, which is about 1100 miles north of Los Angeles, or 200 miles north of Seatle Washington(On the left Coast) . So we have a fairly damp climate here.The floor was inspected by the BCFA(British Columbia Flooring association) Thier report states that the checking is due to improper kilning at the manufacturing level.
I also hired a local NWFA inspector at my own cost($550)The same story although I am still waiting for the official report.
So my complaints with the floor is the end checks, as well as many large gaps, between boards, also the finish is chipping off the ends of the boards. The installer and the manufacturer refuses to replace the entire floor, and are standing by the bcfa recommendation of replacing only now 76 cracked boards.I have asked that the floor be replaced so I think I will be suing soon.
So my question is "Is it normal or industry standard to replace so many boards(about 10% of the floor)? Or am I just dealing with a bunch of cheap arse holes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:10 am 
Prized Contributor

Just my opinion here... but they're not coming in my house attempt to replace 76 boards. They are all going to be replaced... and very carefully too, because hurriedly ripping out boards can damage the subfloor.

I say that because according to you this problem is ongoing and getting worse. You are going to need a mean lawyer specializing in consumer law issues.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
"Is it normal or industry standard to replace so many boards(about 10% of the floor)?

Not in my opinion. That kind of work would take time too. I recall about ten years ago I worked for a guy that love to sell cabin grade hardwood. The customer didn't see a sample either. It was kinda like "you''ll have lot's of color variation" In the end 27 boards were replaced and that took me an entire day. Jerry's points make sense.[/quote]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have only one suggestion.
1. Do not try to stop any attempt to repair.
WHY? to not allow the opportunity to make the floor meet standards when they have the legal right to do so;;;; In many courts, that may result in your legal acceptance of the floor the way it is.. and you lose your case.
As long as they accept the problem and make the repairs; they are also accepting responsibility for the entire floor.
Give them a chance to repair the floor. Who Knows,, you may be happy when they are done..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:26 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Ray is correct in this. Any contractor has the right to "fix" his mistakes or problems. A consumer must allow the contractor to effect the repairs. This way, as Ray pointed out, the contractor, in effect, has admitted the work or materials was sub-standard and is accepting liability for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:55 am 
Prized Contributor

That only applies if the contractor or retailer is suggesting a fix/repair that follows sound installation methods, meets any standards and has a history of success. I can't just dream up any remedy up until my warranty expires. :)

Let them try it, but i would have them sign something that says they will reimburse you for the extra work with furniture removal, sub floor repair and inconvenience if they have to come back and tear it all out later.

On occasion I allow myself to play devils advocate on unusual situations like this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:33 pm 
New User

Thankyou for your responses.
First off the installer has agreed to fix the 56 now 76 and counting cracked boards. He will not fix the boards that are scratched, chipped, have large gaps. Almost all of the boards have wood filler, this is now shrinking to the point where defects are visible in every board.There are runs in the finish. He has also declined to fix the loose and creaking boards. In short he will only repair the cracked boards because the flooring manufacturer is paying for it. He will not spend 1 cent of his own money to repair this floor.
One of my objections to having the floor repaired in the first place,was the statement in the bc flooring report. "cracked boards to be replaced, and all subsequent cracked boards." So every couple of months I am supposed to move the furniture, and spend 8 hours cleaning up after they are gone. Not too mention all the dust in the heating ducts ect. Will the installer pay for this, of course not.
No the floor is getting replaced one way or the other! I contracted for a good floor not one that needs ongoing repairs.
So I guess we are back to my orginal question, Is replacing 76 boards really normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:26 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Is replacing 76 boards really normal?

No, it is not. But you are stuck in a battle between the installer and the manufacturer. It goes like this. The installer insists it's a manufacturing flaw and claim that he/she did nothing wrong ( this is seldom the case as oftentimes, there are some installation problems ). The manufacturer agrees to replace only the damaged boards, and perhaps pay for the labor ( sometimes, they won't pay for the labor if it's flawed product. The installer is not supposed to install faulty product. ) So both stand firm and come up with this lousy compromise, which, in the end, may cost them more than if they each agreed to split the cost and replace the entire floor, as they most likely should do. However, as a LEGAL issue, as long as they are "fixing" the problem, you must allow them to do so. Now, if after a few repair attempts and the problem is not fixed to your (or any professional's ) satisfaction, you may throw them out and file suit and complain to any and every consumer agency in your state. Plus file a claim with the installer's bonding company, if he has one. But sadly, you must play this game first. The only way around it is to get numerous, local professional and expert opinions that this method of repair will NOT even remotely have a chance of success. Then, with your expert opinions, sue in court. Or complain to the Contractor Licensing Agency in your state, if you have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:31 am 
New User

Gary
Thankyou for your insightful response. I will keep you posted as I navigate my way through hardwood hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:59 am 
Valued Contributor

Enough information has been gathered to better understand what is going on here.

This is not the season to be running the heater full time and at full heat, and:
- The wood is shrinking.
- Installed with large gaps.
- Checking and splitting with time.

This wood has several drying defects and installed at various wood moisture content levels.

If the boards vary in width, and the wood moisture content is somewhere between 6% and 9%,,, this would confirm a Drying Defect.

Hopefully the inspector you hired understands wood moisture content and variations in board widths... Just because a guy is "certified" does not equate to "Wood Inspector"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:34 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I'd like to know what type of floor this is (may be against board rules, though, to name names?) and how much you paid for it and the labor.
Is this a case of buying cheap material and taking the lowest bid - with unsatisfactory yet not surprising - results? Or is it a case of buying a good product and hiring reputable installers yet still having something go wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:45 pm 
New User

Hi
Like you mentioned I can't really name names, as they do sell online.
However I can tell you that they Not on any list of suppliers on this website.Don't worry it's pretty unlikely you have heard of them.
I paid about $6 sqf, and used the retailers own installers. Installation costs were about average it seems for this area.
It seems I got a bad batch, but then again this is a chinese product.
It was never about bargain hunting, I just liked the look of the floor.