Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Really old, damaged floor question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:16 am 
New User

Hello folks, this is my first post and some of you may be mortified by what I’m asking... I have an old house with wood floors, no idea what kind of wood it is, and they have lots of the finish worn off, they’re stained, chipped, a little bowed and honestly, I don’t hate the way they look! But I want to do something simple to condition them and seal them a bit. I don’t have the money or time to do anything intensive, and I’m not looking for another project. If I were to just clean them really well, would it be feasible to simply put down a couple coats of hard oil wax? As I said, I’m not much concerned with how they look, I’d just like to maybe even put the color and seal them in the simplest, cheapest most painless way possible.
I know it’s not necessarily the right thing to do, but I’m old, poor and probably going to drop dead in here at some point. The floors appear to have been varnished originally, and based on the rain smell I detect, have had lemon or orange oil applied to even out the color. I’m open to ideas. Just feel like I should do something with them!
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Really old, damaged floor question
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:30 am 
Prized Contributor

I recommend cleaning to get old wax and dirt removed with paint thinner and #2 steel wool. Then you can paste wax the surface if there is a sealer or varnish left. You may need to shellac worn areas if you have bare wood. Use a wood floor and laminate cleaner and water to clean bare wood before you shellac. It may take two coats of shellac to get a smooth surface. A smooth surface will be easier to clean. Follow the directions on the can for both shellac and paste wax. This will help your floors look as good as possible with the least amount of work for the best results.

Profile E-mail