Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recent squabbles at Floormaster's
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:47 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Some of you know I post occassionally at floormaster's. I know Perry does as well. And Ken drops in from time to time. Well, a couple of new posters came along with some pretty big attitudes and caused quite a ruckus. I was NOT enjoying it and was sorta of ashamed being associated with that profession. It's calmed down now and apologies have been offered up. That's a good thing but sure made me appreciate the civility and respect we here at hardwoodinstaller have. Sure, we've had some spats in the past but the regulars here now are the best. So I thank all of you for being cool and dropping the macho, gotta be right, name calling stuff and just being totally cool guys to talk on the board with. I look foward to coming here every day.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:52 am 
Prized Contributor

I read all that Gary. Huge, huge ego's and old Bill would not step up. Since I don't do any sand/finish I am considered a Home depot installer by most of them. Guys like you, Jesse, Perry, Charlie and a few others don't have that attitude. It is down right disgraceful for the public to be able to see how unprofessional that place can be at times. I am much more involved here or at TheFloorPro, where Ken is also a member. Both boards are run professionally and compliment each other in my honest opinion. If a consumer asks about buying wood online I would send them over here in a flash.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:17 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Since I don't do any sand/finish I am considered a Home depot installer by most of them.

Jerry, there are some that think if it isn't sanded and finished in place, it's not a REAL wood floor. I've never held to that belief. Since I do both, prefinished and finish in place, I can honestly say that prefinished flooring takes MORE skill as an installer to make look good. Take your basic 2&1/4" strip oak floor. Watch how unfinished flooring is installed. It's rack it and bang it in. Very little, if no culling is done. No effort to ensure tight joints and subfloor irregularities are often over looked. One cannot install prefinished that way and expect to get paid. So, from an installing point of view, factory prefinished represents more of a challenge, especially when doing borders and inlays. I just ignore those that think otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I have read every post at Floormasters since the beginning. There have always been some super ego’s there but the good greatly outweighs the bad. The last few days have been bad over there.

Gary, I think I saw a post where you mentioned to Bill he should get some help managing his forum, he sure could use some help.

I also read every post at this forum every day and sometimes I visit TheFloorPro. I think I first signed up here about 2001 and have learned so much from all of you.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:51 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

speaking of floormasters i had posted a message over there and it never showed up so i'll ask it here. Someone had mentioned a degree in wood science from an online university and I'm having trouble finding information on this and was wondering if you guys could help. Thanks Restowood

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:14 am 
Newbie Contributor

I believe any internet forum begins to get stale when just a few get involved with the flow of topics, and others begin to shy away or just lurk.

In this case the flow had become way to opinionated. While opinions and humor add to a forum, it really needs to stay on topic and not bring in folks personality's, bias's, and prejudices.

Gary you have been a gentleman, even when I have PM'd ya with repated questions, and very helpful to myself and others. Keep up the good work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:34 am 
Prized Contributor

Gary is the best in my humble opinion. I've told him he ought to venture out with his knowledge.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:40 am 
Prized Contributor

Restowood, I don't know anything about that myself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:59 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have to agree on this, I dont post like I did at one time on floormasters just because I would get people witha attitude instead of a honest answer. then recently I have had some time to do some lurking and was amazed at how off topic things were. I think i am going to spend less and less time there if it keeps up.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail