Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reclaimed birdseye maple gym floor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:26 am 
New User

The school where I work had a pipe burst underneath the gym floor. There didn't appear to be too much damage but a company came in and claimed the underside of the floor was filled with moisture and would eventually buckle so it was torn out. I was surprised to see how dry everything was underneath so I managed to talk the guy hauling the dumpster to dump the wood in my driveway :D My question is, this floor was installed on the concrete gym subfloor with metal strips and clips. I would like to install this in a room in my house with a concrete subfloor but I don't want to raise my floor up inches by needing to install a plywood subfloor. Is there any place I can buy the metal strips and clips so I can just install it the way it was previously?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:09 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Those metal strips (sleepers) and clips will raise it as well. Plus make it way more difficult to install. The only correct way to install that re-cycled flooring is to nail it down to a proper subfloor. I'd check the moisture content of the slab prior to doing anything. Your slab may not be a candidate for a solid wood floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

Panel a wall with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:53 am 
New User

Thanks for the replies, I could panel 10 houses with it! This was a fairly large gym, there is about 3500 square feet! I just measured the thickness and it's a little over an inch thick. I might just keep it in storage and use it in a future house. I have to store it in a barn, any ideas on the best way to stack and cover it to try to keep it in as good as condition as possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:33 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It cannot be subjected to excessive moisture. Get it as high off the ground as possible. Got a hay loft? It cannot be rained on. Excessive temperatures aren't good either. Cover it with tarps but not the plastic ones. You have 33/32" maple gym flooring. Very common. Extra thickness is to allow more sandings, thus prolonging the life of the floor. Plus, it is stiffer than 3/4" and allows slightly wider spans between screeds/sleepers.