Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Recommendation for starter row location
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

I am looking for any insight you experts can give me regarding the best place to start nailing my 3/4" hardwood. Is is hickory, so somewhat less stable than oak. Using the image below, I was planning to start at "start line 1". However, reading NWFA, I am wondering if I need to start around "start line 2" because of the width of the room in that section. Or...is there a better suggestion?

Here is my floorplan - I am doing a "donut" around a center staircase area :

Thanks!

Matt

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for starter row location
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 am 
Valued Contributor

mswhite60 wrote:
I am looking for any insight you experts can give me regarding the best place to start nailing my 3/4" hardwood. Is is hickory, so somewhat less stable than oak. Using the image below, I was planning to start at "start line 1". However, reading NWFA, I am wondering if I need to start around "start line 2" because of the width of the room in that section. Or...is there a better suggestion?

Here is my floorplan - I am doing a "donut" around a center staircase area :

Thanks!

Matt

Run another line 'parallel' to Start Line 1 and Start Line 2. Put this new line between the stairs going UP and Wall C. Extend 2 lines from the new line to Start Line 1....one on each side of the center area. You can also draw right triangles to make sure these lines are parallel and 'square'.....this will ensure that the new flooring will flow around the center area and meet up correctly as you head toward the outer walls A and C. You can start at Start Line 2 and lay the flooring in 2 directions.....but make sure Start line 2 is parallel to Start Line 1 and the new line.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks, JimmieM! Very helpful. I know I will be concerned/nervous about the two sides meeting again as I work around the center. This will help -

Matt

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

mswhite60 wrote:
Thanks, JimmieM! Very helpful. I know I will be concerned/nervous about the two sides meeting again as I work around the center. This will help -

Matt

If your layout lines are square and parallel the meet-up will work out fine. Additionally, adjust your starter line(s) so that when your are going up to and around the stairs and closet area you don't have to cut narrow flooring strips. Also, extend the lines to walls A and C before starting to ensure that there aren't narrow strips at the ends. It's a good idea to have all measurements before you start laying any flooring so that all adjustments will be known and there won't be any surprises.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:17 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks again!

Follow-up: What do you recommend as material to support/back-up the start line in the field? scraps of straight material like plywood? straight 1x or 2x lumber?

Matt

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

mswhite60 wrote:
Thanks again!

Follow-up: What do you recommend as material to support/back-up the start line in the field? scraps of straight material like plywood? straight 1x or 2x lumber?

Matt

I like to use a sacrificial piece of the flooring. Face screw it to the subfloor. If you lay it on the line with the tongue facing in the direction that you will be laying the flooring the groove of the first row can fit onto and be held down by the tongue. You could use any straight piece of wood. One advantage of using something the same thickness as the flooring being installed is that you will be able to stand on the flat surface and the row being nailed.
After installing several rows you can remove the screwed down board. Then to reverse direction install a spline/slip tongue in the groove and continue installing flooring in the opposite direction. Glue and nail the spline/slip tongue. When installing the spline/slip tongue put a couple of pieces of flooring over it on both sides of your nailer to keep the spline/slip tongue parallel to the subfloor.

Profile E-mail